Author Topic: "helpsearch.exe" and registry entry "bkdr_hupigon.fi" malware?  (Read 7251 times)

darth

"helpsearch.exe" was discovered in task manger using 100% cpu. Googled it, came up with info over at TrendMicro. A back door operator according to them. The registry entry for this is "BKDR_HUPIGON.Fi.  Confirmed the registry entry. 
Before my eyes this in Task manger entry dissapeared. CPU went back to normal.
The following action was taken:
1. Boot scan with avast--nothing found
2. Online scan with Symantec--nothing found
3. Oline scan with TrendMicro-- nothing found
4. Oline scan with Nod32--nothing found
5. Safe mode scan with Superantispyware--nothing found
Does anyone have any additional info on this virus/malware?

darth

Re: "helpsearch.exe" and registry entry "bkdr_hupigon.fi" malware?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:54:26 PM »
Avast did not recognize this as a virus/malware. To anyone in this forum who might know, is this a virus/malware?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:24:51 AM »
Have you done a google seatch for the file name for any associations with malware ?
The only thing I see is your post in the SAS forum, so to me if it were a legit file I would expect more hits.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 01:26:31 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

darth

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:49:54 AM »
 I saw "helpservice.exe" in task manger. But it dissapeared on its own. So I did a google search of it, and TrendMicro was only AntiVirus company that came up with info on it plus the Registry entry of "BKDR_HUPIGON.Fi". Did Avast Forum search on "BKDR_HUPIGON.Fi, and came up with one post way back in time on it. The Post was a merely an anouncement about a slew of "BKDR_HUPIGON'S. Nothing about anyone, with Avast having problems with it. I think the forum was called "Machine Forum" or something like that. Will go with VirusTotal and see what happens. A local search revealed nothing on either of the above listed two.  Thanks DavidR for responding to my query.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 03:07:27 AM »
Which is is it, helpsearch or helpservice?

darth

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 04:08:30 AM »
Oldman, it was "helpsearch.exe". Sorry about error in post above yours. The best I can gather it was in that part of Microsoft, search assistant, which I don't really understand that well. Got the registry entry for it out. But never could find a file by name of "helpsearch.exe". Guess it is hideing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 02:33:43 PM »
If it were a part of MS search Assistant, then I would expect more google hit on helpsearch.exe and they simply aren't there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security