Author Topic: What personal blacklist are you using?  (Read 6777 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
What personal blacklist are you using?
« on: April 06, 2008, 05:39:46 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Using a host file or a personal blacklist, which one, and why. Like to see an inventory what other web forum friends use here. My proposition the Personal Blacklist in Flock:
http://personalblacklist.googlepages.com/home

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What personal blacklist are you using?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »
None. I really can't see the worth of these when you exercise safe hex.

Well if you count SpywareBlaster immunisation, that ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »
Well let's see...

Two lines in the hosts file, added awhile ago when virunt first appeared and a rule in OE for the microsoft update critters, that was made before my ips added a spam blocker.

So I guess my blacklist is more of a gray.  ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I use this antiabzocker add-on to get a warning when I get onto a site that redirects to a paid scam site or a scam dialer site. You only get a warning, it also can be that links to these sites are there. It is only a small xpi, called antiabzocker.xpi. Download it as a Mozilla add-on,

polonus
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 06:29:16 PM by polonus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 06:27:36 PM »
I tend to use the mark1 brain for a filter, I don't have the likes of finjan, etc. because they are proactive in checking links, etc. and that just kills dial-up bandwidth (what little there is), so I have to get by without active link checkers, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »
Hi DavidR,

When they are actually going to roll out some decent 21st century ADSL connection where you live, you must feel like you are living out on the back side of the moon with your dial up line. Who decides there that "copper" should be your fate or are all decision makers there over 70 or gone "out of brass"?

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
They have it but I'm 9.5KM from the exchange so it is abysmal and the majority of ISPs want you to pay for a download MB rate that is unachievable where I am and I hate being ripped off.

BT are the owner of the infrastructure and there is a lot of it that needs upgrading. The majority of ISPs are just buying bandwidth, etc. of BT. There are some who put their own equipment in to the BT exchange, but that happens at the much larger exchanges and even if they did that it would still be 9.5KM away.

What is needed is for a sub exchange to be put nearer and they can get decent high speed cabling to that exchange halving the distance which would improve quality. But I think the Credit Crunch is already rearing its head in the investment stakes, they can't borrow the money at a reasonable rate.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 07:16:39 PM »
Hey DavidR, I was in the same boat. Still am, sot of. I'm too far away to benifit from the full speed. However, I looked at it like this:

On dialup, at first it was $25 for 100hrs, 4 email accounts
"updated" package $25 for unlimited hrs, 2 email accounts
another ips undate $25 for unlimited hrs, 1 email accounts, $4 for additional account
(don't you just love it when they upgrade you for beter service  ::) )
hispeed introduced $30 for unlimited hrs and 3 accounts, plus they gave me a 19" flat screen.  ;D

With the dial up, I was also paying $2 for Internet call director.

So for the same (actually, I'm ahead $1  :D ), I can go a bit faster.

dl speed was about 4.2 , did an xp to sp2 on that, phone didn't ring for 2 days  8)

now Download Speed: 1307 kbps (163.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 478 kbps (59.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Not the 1.5 as advertized, but a lot better.

Don't know how well this fuzzy logic fits in your case.

Rafel

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 07:17:25 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I use this antiabzocker add-on to get a warning when I get onto a site that redirects to a paid scam site or a scam dialer site. You only get a warning, it also can be that links to these sites are there. It is only a small xpi, called antiabzocker.xpi. Download it as a Mozilla add-on,

polonus

I can't find that add-on.
Where is it?

EDIT:
I found the add-on
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:22:32 PM by Rafel »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:44:52 PM »
Open DNS and like David practicing safe hex has kept me out of trouble.

At my age, those sites that seem to cause most of the problems really don't interest me any more.  ;D ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 10:58:38 PM »
Absolutely Bob, forgot to mention I also use OpenDNS, which has no additional impact/load on my dial-up.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 11:26:55 PM »

At my age, those sites that seem to cause most of the problems really don't interest me any more.  ;D ;D ;D

Playing cards, looking up recipes, a little on line shopping doesn't interest you any more? That seems to be the sites that are causing the problems. Or so I've been told in the virus and worms forum.  ::)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 11:56:01 PM »
Hi "oldman",

The last time bob3160 was looking for info he found this:
BERLIN (Reuters) - A hobby historian has discovered the oldest known recipe for German sausage, a list of ingredients for Thuringian bratwurst nearly 600 years old.

According to the 1432 guidelines, Thuringian sausage makers had to use only the purest, unspoiled meat and were threatened with a fine of 24 pfennigs -- a day's wages -- if they did not, a spokesman for the German Bratwurst Museum said Wednesday.

Medieval town markets in Germany had committees charged with monitoring the quality of produce. Thuringian bratwursts, which are made of beef and pork, are symbols of Germany's cultural heritage and ubiquitous snacks at football matches.

Historian Hubert Erzmann, 75, found the ancient recipe, inscribed with pen and ink in a heavy tome of parchment, earlier this year while doing research in an archive in the eastern town of Weimar, museum spokesman Thomas Maeuer said.

"The discovery shows that there were already consumer protection laws in the Middle Ages," he said.

The instructions go on display Thursday in the Bratwurst Museum near the eastern city of Erfurt, Thuringia's capital.

That kind of info is safe from antiabzocker malware, according to my add-on,

polonus

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:01:18 AM by polonus »

drhayden1

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
you are making me hungry damian and tomorrow after i move back to my apartment complex i used to live in-i will have my isp provider i used to have-insight-which has a 10MBPS Download and 1.5MBPS upload for $30US and also has a 20MBPS offer for $20US More ;D
http://www.insight-com.com/products-bb.asp

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:34:27 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 12:46:28 AM »
That kind of info is safe from antiabzocker malware, according to my add-on

Thanks Pol, next time someone says "I was just getting a bratwursts recipe" I'll know they we fibbin'

Now if we could just clean up those home and garden site.

drhayden1

you're making me drool