Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.8.1192)  (Read 190906 times)

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
I think so Vlk, thank you, but of course there are many things that might no be used immediately.

Until the re-installation a few days ago, some prefs. wouldn't hold. I prefer the interface unskinned and that now works; also wanted to turn off sound but got to like the somewhat cheesy voice  :D

Now going to try turning off rootkit scan at start-up, as somewhere there's an extra 10s on the boot.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Cutie Mark Surprise

I installed the lastest Beta of Avast and so far so good. It fixed my issue with Comodo Firewall 3.0 and thanks Avast.  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 07:42:53 PM by Cutie Mark Surprise »

Sata

I can confirm that this version at least fixed the mouse and keyboard lag I had in Team Fortress 2.

EDIT: My computer:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1gb RAM
ATi Radeon HD2600XT
Windows XP
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 12:17:04 PM by Sata »

Solemn

Successfully installed 4.8.1178 with no notable problems so far.

I can confirm that the shortcut scanning on Vista now works as it should, however the fix regarding the quick start of the mail scanner may or may not have been fully fixed as I still see the slower response time in the 5th and 6th providers being started as listed in this older thread in the beta section: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34173.0 (it's issue #2 listed there).  Not sure if that's a legitimate problem though or just the new way avast! behaves now on my system for whatever reason.

I'll keep testing things out for now although I haven't had much issues with 4.8.1169 except an odd sound driver error where the sound completely failed and repeated itself over and over with static for any application that tried to play sound (I cannot confirm if this is a conflict with avast! and the C-Media drivers I use, or if the new C-Media driver I'm using isn't stable with Vista for some reason).  That problem has only happened 3 times so far (I was only able to disable avast!'s on access protection during one of the times to see if it was the cause, but it didn't affect the sound errors) and I'm not entirely sure how to reproduce it, although I'm hoping its fixed.  I guess we'll have to see, although everything's looking good so far. :)

lee16

Mouse and keyboard lag I had in World of Warcraft seems fixed  ;)

--lee

Bayemon

I am still experiencing the mouse and keyboard lag in World of Warcraft after installing the Beta.  It is different now (the mouse disappears but the keyboard responds a bit better, although there are still issues) but the problem definitely is still there.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Processor 2.6
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
2.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
All drivers and Windows current with Updates

Ill keep an eye on thsi thread for any more updates.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
So far no problems with this build :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

sauronreaver

Found a possible bug with the self-protect module.

I'm running this pre-release on Win XP SP2 Pro, and I went into Services and try to stop the avast! service, and do get a warning. With this pre-release I noticed that the "No" buttons has an auto countdown, and decided to leave it and see what happens ... It was not what I expected, it counted down, disappeared and allowed the avast! service to stop. :-\

Might be something you would want to look into.

-- Sauron

Please see: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34663.0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 02:49:56 PM by Sauron »

MiguelAngelXP

So, Giraffe, does this build work on your system? Remember than it's a pre-release build, so we don't actually guarantee that all the issues on the list are really solved. :)

First of all  : I couldn't stand it, I downloaded the Beta (aswbeta.exe) and installed, I knew that I couldn't wait till the final build

Well I know this is a beta, and I can stand it's glitches , so I downloaded the aswbeta.exe and installed 4.8.1178 Beta (I followed all the instructions posted by Vlk) but at startup my machine froze up, so I rebooted manually it and all went fine. But when after performing the CHKDSK at startup the 5 minutes delays still appears, in fact it's my only problem with this version. I want to make it clear . But as I said it I know this is a beta, and I'm going to stick with it, I can stand the 5 minutes delay in part because I'm testing this Beta and besides that I perform the CHKDSK 3 times a week, so please take this as a feedback. I'm using Avast for nearly a half year, and I like it. It doesn't matter to me , if the scan takes me 3 hours (average time) to scan my HDD), I use the deep scanning mode. And I'm not going to change of vendor, for free, is a complete suite. So my congratulations despite the glitches to the developement team (I know that they do their best with a lot of heart, a lot of mugs of coffe, sandwiches and in less grade cigarrettes  ;) etc , thanks to the moderators of this forum and all my peers. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks very much for an excellent antivirus
Regards
MiguelAngelXP  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:45:01 AM by MiguelAngelXP »

housi

Hi
After installing this new beta there is no more spinning ball (blue icon). A deinstall and new install does not help. I'm asking me if my PC is protected?
Regards
housi

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

I'm running this pre-release on Win XP SP2 Pro, and I went into Services and try to stop the avast! service, and do get a warning. With this pre-release I noticed that the "No" buttons has an auto countdown, and decided to leave it and see what happens ... It was not what I expected, it counted down, disappeared and allowed the avast! service to stop. :-\
<snip>

Are you sure it actually stopped, does the Task Manager still show ashServ.exe as running and this is the service you tried to stop ?

Is the avast ' a ' icon still there and nothing superimposed over it ?
Does avast still appear to be working, scanning (ashQuick), etc.

Edit: Perhaps you should create a new topic for this so as not to take this off-topic and answer the questions there.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 02:25:00 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sauronreaver

<snip>

Are you sure it actually stopped, does the Task Manager still show ashServ.exe as running and this is the service you tried to stop ?

Is the avast ' a ' icon still there and nothing superimposed over it ?
Does avast still appear to be working, scanning (ashQuick), etc.

Edit: Perhaps you should create a new topic for this so as not to take this off-topic and answer the questions there.

Done: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34663.0

ttalukder

I am still recieving major keystroke lags in counter strike source even after install this pre-release version.

This has something to do with older ATI agp cards, like my 9800pro imo.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Please keep this topic clear and post this in either its own new topic or add to the WoW topic.

Edit: I see you have done that but with out the reference to the graphics card.
Yep the pre-release seemed to fix the problem at first but after a while the lags came back and they last alot longer.

If you tried the tests that Vlk or Igor suggested earlier before the 4.8.1178 beta release if you can also post those results.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

davorl

Installed 4.8.1178 pre-release just now.
Rootkit scan still eats 100% cpu for 15 minutes, but now it can be turned off, so I'm happy :)

Thank you.