Author Topic: FREEZES computer screen--help!  (Read 8978 times)

sweetpnay0786

FREEZES computer screen--help!
« on: March 23, 2004, 02:05:52 AM »
i just DLed avast, and after i rebooted my computer, it freezes everything. i cant go to my start menu or anything. i've rebooted my computer about 10x and it is still freezing. what do i do?!? i have XP professional. luckly i have another comp, but what can i do to fix this?!?!

diana

Culpeper

Re:FREEZES computer screen--help!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 02:17:52 AM »
Did you uninstall Avast?

sweetpnay0786

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 02:32:56 AM »
i cant uninstall anything because when i try to go to my start menu, it gives me the hourglass in my mouse pointer, and it freezes. i cant do anything to my computer anymore.

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 04:07:59 AM »
Restart in safe mode so you can find the problem or at least uninstall or reinstall Avast.

To use the F8 method
Use this method only if Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer.

1. Start Windows, or if it is running, shut Windows down, and then turn off the computer.

2. Restart the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is happening.

3. As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

4. Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.

Once in safe mode, you screen shouldn't be frozen.

sweetpnay0786

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 01:23:46 PM »
omg thank you sooooooo much. i've just decided to uninstall the program.. but thanks, it helped my computer.

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 03:17:32 PM »
Oh, good!

guivho

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 10:38:03 AM »
I recently experienced a system freeze / lockup after installing avast as described in thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3397

It was caused by not uninstalling nav before installing avast. After uninstalling nav (using f8/safe mode), reinstalling avast, everything went smooth.

Hope this helps.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 01:51:45 PM »
I recently experienced a system freeze / lockup after installing avast as described in thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3397

It was caused by not uninstalling nav before installing avast. After uninstalling nav (using f8/safe mode), reinstalling avast, everything went smooth.

Hope this helps.

I do confirm this behavior...
Sweet, did you install any antivirus before avast (even in the past)?
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 03:08:11 PM »
Another XP installation of Avast that didn't work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 08:57:06 PM »
Another XP installation of Avast that didn't work.

It's a pitty...
I tried to help...
Where are the others?  :(

My friends and I use avast! in XP systems without any problem...
The user (or the system) is doing (of course without intention) something wrong...  :-\

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 09:21:19 PM »
Nah, I've just seen a lot of reviews on download.com and Cnet.com where most of the installastion complaints are coming from people using XP.  Don't know for sure if it's the user or the program.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 09:27:24 PM »
Nah, I've just seen a lot of reviews on download.com and Cnet.com where most of the installastion complaints are coming from people using XP.  Don't know for sure if it's the user or the program.

I'm completely sure is the user or, at least, the user's system (prior av installation, special configurations, firewalls and so on).

I'm using avast! in a XP system for one year, installed a lot of times, applied Microsoft updates. Believe me, it works fine in XP. The complains at CNET I cannot agree with a lot of them... Just blaming not computer talking or asking for help...  :(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »
Well, as Vlk noted somewhere - the conflicts of avast! with other installed antiviruses (or rather, conflicts between multiple antiviruses) occur usually on WinXP (i.e. they can even work correctly together on other platforms)... could it be the reason?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 11:34:53 PM »
Well, as Vlk noted somewhere - the conflicts of avast! with other installed antiviruses (or rather, conflicts between multiple antiviruses) occur usually on WinXP (i.e. they can even work correctly together on other platforms)... could it be the reason?

In fact, the using of more than one av application it was only my guess... The user did not say that... Of course, conflicts are even more frequent and drastic in XP than any other system as you stated.  8)

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 09:47:53 PM »
Unfortunately, with a fresh Windows XP installation from scratch, with a repartitioning and reformat, after I install Avast, Windows XP will lock up when at the desktop and thus I'm forced to push the reset button on my PC and risk HDD data corruption :(.

Avast will cause Windows XP Explorer to lock up and all I can do is move the mouse pointer. Even Task Manager won't respond and all mouse clicks are ignored.

The above symptoms are with Windows XP Pro SP1,
Via AGP driver 4.30a and Catalyst 3.2.

The PC has an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard with BIOS 1005, Athlon XP T-bred 2000+, 256 MB Kingston PC2100 DDR SDRAM and a Radeon 9000 Pro.