Author Topic: not enough user rights to continue  (Read 3616 times)

friday

not enough user rights to continue
« on: March 28, 2004, 03:23:16 AM »
 :-\  I'v recently installed Avast on my new pc running Win XP,  all seemed ok initially, and on completion of the install it updated itself ok - or at least seemed to,  the otehr day I decided to do a manual update check - bu clicking the appropriate "update" buttons - it comes back saying "Not Enough User Rights to Continue"
What on earth does this mean ???
THE Same msh come up if I attempt an uninstall voa windows add/remove programs.
Iv been to the web site - thinking maybe I have to download specifically for Win XP - but nope ~
has anyone come across this before.?? I'm also running "Tiny Personal Firewall"

Hmmm ok.. hang on a sec - I'll take out the firewall and try again..... Jeeeez!! ok forget it ~ I'll post this anyway in case anyone has had a similar problem - it   IS  the firewall ~ I'll have to dig into it and uncover what and where it's preventing Avase from accessing the net!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:not enough user rights to continue
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 03:47:32 PM »
friday, there is only one setup file for Windows 95/98/Me/2k/XP. You don't have to make another download.

If you install avast! by the administrator account you could access it with easy. Are you logged as an administrator?

Other question, the firewall could not only denying access to connect the Internet (and perform the update) but even to the files and folders (as this folder is part of your 'net').

Hope I can help in anyway.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

friday

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 01:05:27 PM »
 ;)
Thanks ~

it WAS the firewall - it's new to me and I wasnt 100% up with the procedure on using it - still not completely sure - but to solve the problem I deleted any reference to Avast in the firewall - which, when I restarted, and Avast tried to access the net - forced the firewall to pop up asking if it was ok or not - and this time - I carefully replied making sure it was the correct reply!
I'm using "Tiny Personal Firewall" and it sure does come up with questions whenever you start a prohram it hasn't "seen" before - even if not accesing the net - just running a prog will cause it to pop up ~ I'm beginning to wonder if I made the best choice!
thanks again.
Stu'

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 09:31:10 PM »
I'm using "Tiny Personal Firewall" and it sure does come up with questions whenever you start a prohram it hasn't "seen" before - even if not accesing the net - just running a prog will cause it to pop up ~ I'm beginning to wonder if I made the best choice!

Friday, when avast is updated (the main program not the virus database updates) the firewall will probably detect it like a 'new' program because of the changes. So, take care, in the future let the new avast! connect to Internet (ashmaisv.exe and avast.setup)  ;)
The best things in life are free.