Author Topic: Win 32 rootkit-gen [RTK]  (Read 3664 times)

Warren Bach

Win 32 rootkit-gen [RTK]
« on: May 23, 2008, 04:30:27 AM »
I am running Vista on a Dell 1525. 

I updated my Avast software and immediately received a warning that my computer was infected with Malware Win 32 rootkit-gen [RTK].  I ran Avast and it seems to have removed the virus.  In the process of removing the virus it damaged something related to the "Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC" and I currently have no sound.

I tried downloading a new driver for the Sigma Audio and received the same malware warning that the downloaded file is infected with Malware Win 32 rootkit-gen [RTK].

My question is, could this be a false positive I should ignore, or could the drivers on Dell's website actually contain the virus?

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
Re: Win 32 rootkit-gen [RTK]
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »
yes.. it could be a false positive... can you send the file to virus[at]avast[dot]com in a password protected archive (and mention the password in message body)? or you can post here the download link (replace the httby by hxxp to make it inactive).. the FP will then be fixed with next VPS update...

suzy-1

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:53:42 PM »
I am running Vista on a Dell 1525. 

I updated my Avast software and immediately received a warning that my computer was infected with Malware Win 32 rootkit-gen [RTK].  I ran Avast and it seems to have removed the virus.  In the process of removing the virus it damaged something related to the "Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC" and I currently have no sound.

I tried downloading a new driver for the Sigma Audio and received the same malware warning that the downloaded file is infected with Malware Win 32 rootkit-gen [RTK].

My question is, could this be a false positive I should ignore, or could the drivers on Dell's website actually contain the virus?

the same has happened to me today after update. i am running vista on a vaio. avast removed the files stwrt.sys in various locations. i tried to reinstall (STDAUD-01487701-UN.exe) but again the malware is detected... the sound driver version is 6.10.5614.0. is it a false positive?

Warren Bach

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:05:10 PM »
Here is the link to download the file:

hxxp://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/downloads_splash?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~mode=popup&file=231806

It is the driver for "SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio".

Thanks

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
thx.. we'll fix that ;)