Author Topic: False Positives  (Read 6130 times)

Laverne

False Positives
« on: May 26, 2008, 06:32:10 AM »
Hi,
  I have been using the free Home version of Avast for about a week.  Already I have 5 files in exclusions, all of which are false positives.

The latest one that turned up is SuperAntispyware.exe.  When I run this file through the jotti site which checks the file with other antivirus programs, none of those other programs find anything wrong with SuperAntispyware.exe. 

I have not added any new programs to my computer but the Avast new definitions are apparently causing these hits as viruses.

I am getting really discouraged with Avast.  Can anyone offer any comments, please!

Is there a way to have Avast tech people remove these false positives?

Laverne

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: False Positives
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:35:39 AM »
I ran my latest updates and scans with SuperAntiSpyware along with avast running on Friday 25th May.  I received no alerts from avast then ... I will  try again.

Laverne

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 06:45:15 AM »
Hi,
The file I am using is this one -- current version 080526-0

I'd appreciate hearing further from you when you update to this definition data base.

Thanks.
Laverne

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 06:53:05 AM »
SAS (free edition) advised me that I am fully up to date.  I am using the same VPS version as you.

I have just completed a SAS scan of my system - with avast fully active and with no alerts from SAS or from avast.

However, to be sure ... I run with avast Standard Shield (normal), avast Webshield (normal), avast Internet Mail (high) and avast Outlook/Exchange (custom). 

I doubt that the Internet Mail or Outlook providers have any involvement but what is your Standard Shield setting?   

smokethapimp

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 08:03:46 AM »
I updated SAS and AVAST! tonight (5-26-08). I updated SAS First and all was well. Then I updated AVAST! and I got a "WIN32:Trojan-gen {Other}"  hit from AVAST! on the SuperAntiSpyware EXE file. I could not email it from vault as it gave me this error message.

"The following file cannot be sent by email:
SUPERAntiSpyware.exe (FileID: 5)
The file is bigger than the limit: 1024 kB"

All my Shields are set to "Normal"

Rather than fight with AVAST! I just uninstalled SAS. :(

As always, thank you for this excellent free antivirus. I do not post this as complaining, merely reporting a result.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:07:48 AM by smokethapimp »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 08:09:49 AM »
smokethapimp

thanks for your post.  I stand corrected in that I should have added to my earlier post that I am using WinXP SP3.   I note that you are on Vista.  May or may not matter.

Laverne

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:13:17 AM »
Hi,

I made my settings the same as you indicated: "I run with avast Standard Shield (normal), avast Webshield (normal), avast Internet Mail (high) and avast Outlook/Exchange (custom)."  And I still get a virus on SuperAntispyware.exe.

Which version do you have of SuperAntispyware?  Mine is 4,0,0,1154.  The version number is sort of hard to find.  Open SAS > Preferences button > Help tab.  (You may already know that!)

I can't understand why I get a virus found and you don't.  Any further thoughts? 
Laverne
P.S.  I just saw the other post where SAS is causing a problem.  Hmmm.  For the record I am using WinXP SP2.  Does the OS matter?

Laverne

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 08:16:07 AM »
P.S.  I just noticed that you mentioned SAS (free edition).  My SAS is the paid edition.  Do you think this is the problem?

Which SAS were you using, Smokethapimp? 

Laverne

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
My SAS reports "Free Edition 4, 1, 0, 1046"

May well be the difference. Let's see what smokethapimp has to tell us.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:40:02 AM by alanrf »

smokethapimp

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 09:34:28 AM »
P.S.  I just noticed that you mentioned SAS (free edition).  My SAS is the paid edition.  Do you think this is the problem?

Which SAS were you using, Smokethapimp? 

Laverne

I was using SAS Free Edition. I am on Vista Home Premium now. I used SAS as an On Demand Scanner only.

ryklon

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »
Im also experiencing a false positive with Avast and the Frostwire Installer.
Everytime I execute the installer to install frostwire Avast detects some of its components as a trojan.
i know that frostwire does not contain any trojan because the previous versions of the virus definitions of avast did not detect the installer of frostwire to contain a trojan.Maybe the latest virus definitions are detecting some programs as a trojan or virus.I think its not the program of avast its the virus definition.

@Avast! team: Please fix this problem.I like Avast because it has real time protection against malicious codes and I dont want to replace it with any other Anti Virus because Avast is the best for me.

Laverne

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »
I just updated SuperAntispyware to the latest version (4,1,0,1046) which is the version alanrf mentioned.  Voila!  No more virus found! 

I am very concerned with false positives because I help many senior citizens with their computers and they have little idea what to do when a virus shows up (or any other problem).  I would like to have them use Avast, but am a little wary now.

I still have the following in Exclusions, though they do not show up in other antivirus scans:

C:\\Scanner Visioneer 8600\8600.exe
C:\\Scanner Visioneer 8600 for Inspiron 530\8600.303110.EN.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActiveScan\pskavs.dll
C:\\SpyNoMore Download Folder\spynomore.exe
C:\\System Information for Windows Download Folder\siw V1.73.exe

Thank you to all for your input and fast response.
Laverne

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

smokethapimp

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05:32 PM »
DavidR, after reading the thread from your link, I updated to SAS version 4.1.1046 and all is well for the moment. Thanks for the link. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security