Author Topic: Avast Antivirus conflict with Free Compusec  (Read 3258 times)

micronaut

Avast Antivirus conflict with Free Compusec
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
Hi. I am new here, I have the following problem, and I'd appreciate any help I can get. :-)

I've just installed Avast Home Edition v4, on a laptop protected by Free CompuSec v4.24. CompuSec, in case you don't know, is an HDD encryption product from CE Infosys. Here is their web site: http://www.ce-infosys.com/english/products/free_compusec.html. My OS is Windows XP Pro w/ SP2.

Anyway, I've been using CompuSec together with AVG Antivirus v7.5 for about a year, and had no problems. Having decided to switch to Avast, rather than upgrade to AVG v8, I uninstalled AVG, rebooted, installed Avast, and rebooted. Upon restart, the CompuSec challenge comes up, as usual. I get through that, and Windows seems to lode just fine until it gets to the point where the login screen should come up. Here the screen goes black. I can see my mouse cursor, and move it around, but nothing else. Every attempt at input, be it via keyboard or mouse button, results in zero response from the PC. My only option at this point is to do a hard shutdown.

I can boot into safe mode without a hitch, and if I uninstall Avast, (or just do a system restore to an earlier restore point) I can boot back into normal mode. But if I reinstall Avast, the problem comes back. My best guess is that Avast doesn't like CompuSec GINA, but I'm not sure what to do about it (or even if that assumption is in fact correct). I've tried disabling CompuSec's single sign-on feature, but that didn't help.

I would like to keep both CompuSec and Avast if possible, so if anybody can help me out, please do so. Thanks very much in advance. :-)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Antivirus conflict with Free Compusec
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:43:56 PM »
Could be, although it's difficult to be sure, remains of AVG antivirus that could not be correctly uninstalled.
But, sorry, I'm not an expert on CompuSec and it's difficult to help further.
I'm using TrueCrypt to encrypt one of the partitions of my notebook. It's working fine with avast.
The best things in life are free.

micronaut

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 09:02:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm using TrueCrypt for my external hard drive, and it is pretty sweet. I went with CompuSec on my internal HDD for its pre-boot authentication, which (I believe) TrueCrypt did not offer at the time that I set it up. However, following your suggestion, I just checked, and I see that TrueCrypt does offer that feature now. So if I can't get this issue resolved with CompuSec, I might just give that a try. It's nice to know I have options :-D Thanks very much for the tip.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:36:01 PM »
Thanks very much for the tip.
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
Although, I think Alwil team should take a look on this bug...
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 02:31:20 AM »
Would you be able to generate and send us a full memory dump at the moment the computer is frozen?
The description how to do that is e.g. here (you need a PS/2 keyboard for that, USB wouldn't work).
Thanks.