Author Topic: Strange boot scan error...  (Read 2992 times)

FirstOfMay

Strange boot scan error...
« on: May 30, 2008, 10:12:52 PM »
Hi.  Recently, I have had an issue with Avast detecting adware in smiley central (Firefox only).  They say it's something to do with Avast because Smiley Central doesn't contain spyware, which I'm inclined to agree with seeing as it has been working fine until a day or so ago, but I digress. Anyway, after my problems with Smiley Central, I decided to do a boot time scan.  I keep getting an adware alert in some file in C:\System Volume Information (a path I can't seem to find), but when I try to do anything like move or delete it, I get an error saying "Object does not exist".  If it doesn't exist, why am I getting an adware alert?  I'm running Avast Home Version 4.8 and have Windows XP Pro.  Is there a way to fix the problem?  Please help ASAP.  TIA!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Strange boot scan error...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 02:14:06 AM »
There are some that feel the smiley central is adware.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

However, the detection in C:\System Volume Information, part of the system restore is a protected area which you need to unhide to see it and access it, see image. These are effectively from files that you have deleted form system folders and the system restore in its infinite wisdom saves a copy to that location. You can disable system restore and reboot, that will clear ALL restore points, enable system restore again after the reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

FirstOfMay

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 06:21:38 AM »
Thanks, David!  I did see something about disabling Restore in another thread, but I must've misunderstood it because it didn't work.  But after reading your reply to me, I did it again and it worked.  I am now adware free...Thank God!  Unfortunately, I have to try to recreate the adware error message to send it to Smiley Central.  *sigh*  Here we go again...At least this time I know what to do, so it won't take me two days. :)

Thanks again!

Traci

P.S.  I forgot...I do have my hidden files unhidden...still can't seem to find the path that was coming up.  Unless I'm totally blind, it's not listed.  I think I can find Restore, but nothing that is C:\System Volume Information. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:25:14 AM by FirstOfMay »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
The C:\System Volume Information is somewhat different to other folders and it is a long time ago when I set mine up to display (I also have XP Pro so it may differ from yours) you could try the windows help and support function on your system or google for "show C:\System Volume Information" and see what that brings.

This was just one of the hits from a google search, http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_volume_information_folder1.htm and that is basically suggesting what I did, so are your settings the same as thos in the image between the confines of the red line (especially this bit "Clear [Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)] check box.")?

This MS KB article is also saying the same, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531, so ensure you follow these instructions to the letter and try again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:33:43 AM »

SmileyCentral has been known to install spyware/adware for many years. This is nothing new to those of us who have been victums and/or have been interested in computer security for a long time. using Scandoo with Google, here is the first page of results ...

http://g.s.scandoo.com/search?hl=en&meta=on&q=Smiley+Central

... along with the screen shots below, you should be convinced that SmileyCentral is not a nice place for your computer. I am sure a few problems could be found on your computer that you are entirely unaware of. If you would like farther information or help ...

Please download HijackThis from the link below, run the program but do not make any fixes, and then post the log results using the "copy & paste" method. It will probably take more than one post to be able to get the complete log posted. OR, you can post it as an attachment to your post by clicking on "Additional Options..." below left of the posting box. Someone will review your log and then offer help.

http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

Besides all this, there are plenty of places on the internet where smileys can be acquired without the dangers supplied by the above web site.