Author Topic: what function does avast! version 5.0 have  (Read 5096 times)

avast!2006

what function does avast! version 5.0 have
« on: June 02, 2008, 05:02:14 PM »
new function

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: what function does avast! version 5.0 have
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 05:11:39 PM »
It was not fully decided yet.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:16:21 PM »
There are some unofficial rumors and already known unofficial features (meaning ALWIL staff mentioned them but that doesn't mean we will see that in v5.0 for sure).

New interface and behavioral detection are just two of these features, self-defense was already realized with v4.8, there were also some speculations on generic unpacking engine and some improvements to the emulator engine.
Just stay around here and track the progress. Only this way you'll know what will actually end up in avast! 5.0...
One thing i can say for sure, it's gonna be a kick ass thing when it comes out, thats for sure :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

gery

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »
any idea when this version is coming out?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:21:23 PM »
Same answer as RejZoR said.

Quote from: RejZoR
Just stay around here and track the progress. Only this way you'll know what will actually end up in avast! 5.0...

The same is true of the release date, but you will find out here first as there is most likely to be a beta release notified in the forums. For those who feel happy to use a beta release of security software and confident to deal with any potential issues with said beta (though the avast beta releases have been relatively without issue) there would be a link and instructions.

It was I believe mentioned the second half of 2008, that could be any time from July to December, but again you will find out here first. So assuming there will be a beta release first then that would pre-empt the regular release by a month or two depending on how the beta goes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »
Yes, stay alive, and you all will see in these forums when v5 is released!  8)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

fazio93

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »
i heard something about a firewall...  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 11:36:49 PM »
Yes avast is developing a firewall though there has been nothing said if it will be ready at the same time as avast 5.0.

There is also no definite answer how it will be deployed, there is talk of a suite for those who like there security bundled together but it will I believe also be stand alone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 02:50:57 AM »
There has been nothing said if it will be ready at the same time as avast 5.0.
I've heard the timeline will be avast 5 and only after that we'll see the first firewall appearance.

There is also no definite answer how it will be deployed, there is talk of a suite for those who like there security bundled together but it will I believe also be stand alone.
I've heard the firewall will be both standalone and integrated (suite) with avast.
The best things in life are free.

fazio93

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 06:11:43 AM »
and i hope we'll be able to disable the integrated FW...?

ardvark

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:17:05 AM »
Hi all...

I also hope the 5th version will keep with the tradition of supporting Windows 95/98/ME and incremental updates for dial-up users. :-\

I still occasionally work with clients who have older systems using Windows 9x/ME and avast is the only full featured antivirus left for these operating systems.

Best Regards...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 08:40:59 AM »
I do not wish to be contrary but I have to wonder how long it will be in the interests of avast (or causing extra work to all in these forums) to go on supporting operating systems that are now way past their support date by the vendor of the operating system.

I have to doubt that avast derives any measurable part of its income from Win9x users and we are now at a point where even XP is, or will before long, cease as a marketed product.  I hope that avast will continue to focus on its core users and not devote any unnecessary effort to unsupported operating systems.  I do not want to suggest that, if it works stop it, but simply that support for those operating systems should be simply "as provided" and "please do not expect support".