Author Topic: I don't think my program is on...  (Read 5453 times)

treismom12

I don't think my program is on...
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »
Hello,
I installed avast on my computer because it had a bunch of spyware on it. Or so the message says.
I registered and ran the scan and the computer seemed to be fine. But the little icon in the system tray is not showing and my computer security area says I have no protection on. Can someone please help me.
Thank you

ardvark

Re: I don't think my program is on...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
Hi...

What message told you this?

First, run Ewido's online scan with Internet Explorer (if you have Windows XP, it won't work with 9x/ME) here...

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Please make a report of what is found and attach it in your next post and delete all entries.

Best Regards...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:54:27 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.

- What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

treismom12

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:39:16 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies.
Ok, I ran the scan on the computer and I won't even list what it had on there. It was almost nothing. It was just a few cookies and that was it.

The message that keeps coming up on my screen says I have a high risk spyware called Spyware.Cyberlog-X

Actually many pages come up with some sort of warning. It says I have 56 infections. And I really don't think I do. It wants me to download "WinAntivirusPro" to get rid of all my troubles.

----wait----time out-----

I just went through the proper steps to get to my security center and it tells me that my firewall, automatic updates and Virus Protection are all on and working.

This other thing that keeps coming up is showing a screen just like the one on the security center - but it shows that my virus protection is off and not working.

I just did a system restore for about 2 weeks ago and it has not come back up yet.  It does show a warning in IE about the problem though.  If I open Firefox nothing shows up. Something maybe attached to IE? My little icon in the system tray still does not show up though.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:47:37 PM »
What you have is scam/scum/rogue/fraudware don't visit the site and under no circumstances install or pay anything.

That is the scam trying to trick you get you worried that there is something wrong when the only thing wrong is this piece of scumware.

Try this tool, RogueRemover, available here http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php.

Also, if you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).

SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

treismom12

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:50:26 PM »
wow, ok. thank you so much. I will try this.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:05:40 AM »
No problem, let us know how you get on.

Welcome to the forums.

treismom12

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:42:31 AM »
well, looks like the crisis is over. Thank goodness. I downloaded the program rogueremover and ran that. I had to pay for it because I had 217 problems and the free version would only remove 15 - I think. Anyway, that's fine. I don't mind paying for quality programs. That program  fixed two problems and the spyware actually ended up getting the specific problem. I ran it afterwards.

My little icon still does not show up in the system tray but I think the program is working ok. My computer says it is running the latest version.

Thanks so much for your help!   ;)

ardvark

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 03:48:28 AM »
Hi....

Try a repair installation of avast, that might help. :)

Go Add/Remove Programs and select and click on avast.

Best Regards...

treismom12

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 04:08:44 AM »
Oh, thank you! That did it. My little a buddy is back. I feel much better with him down there.
I really appreciate all of the help you guys have given me! Thank you so much! ;D

ardvark

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:13:08 AM »
Oh, thank you! That did it. My little a buddy is back. I feel much better with him down there.
I really appreciate all of the help you guys have given me! Thank you so much! ;D

You're more than welcome! :)

I'm glad we could help.

Best Regards...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
well, looks like the crisis is over. Thank goodness. I downloaded the program rogueremover and ran that. I had to pay for it because I had 217 problems and the free version would only remove 15 - I think. Anyway, that's fine. I don't mind paying for quality programs. That program  fixed two problems and the spyware actually ended up getting the specific problem. I ran it afterwards.
<snip>

Sorry I wasn't aware of any restriction in the use of rogue remover (though it is usually only used when you have one problem), are you sure that you used that rather than the malwarebytes anti-malware ?

I would have tried the free superantispyware application (no restriction) first and see if that dealt with it or any of the other 217 problems before paying for another product. But SAS appears to have done some cleaning also.

The main thing is that the problem is resolved.

treismom12

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »
no worries! Like you say I am just glad it is fixed. Something like that can drive you out of your mind. I really appreciate all of your help. I don't think I could have gotten this fixed without you. You get to that point of freaking out and just don't know what to do..... ???

Thanks again guys!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »
You're welcome.