Author Topic: "Lost" Malware  (Read 3349 times)

Jima

"Lost" Malware
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:58:28 PM »
I am a user that has had no trouble with 4.8; thanks avast!
This morning I got an alert saying "Malware Detected" with the standard recommendation to send to vault.  That command brought a notice that the application (Temp Internet File) was in use and the action could not be completed. I took the option of "no action."
Then I closed all windows and looked for the Malware (SWF:CVE 2007-0071 Exploit) and could only find it in the Log Viewer, with no action available.
So I ran a standard scan (no archive) and was surprised it did not turn up. It remains only in "Warning Notices" in the Log Viewer under application 1248.
Where to go from here?  Reason to worry?

sanctuaryforever

Re: "Lost" Malware
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
Between you getting the warning and you checking again with standard scan did Avast update?

the reason I ask is that sometimes there are false positives that are fixed in updates, also seeing as it was a temp file it may have been overwritten or deleted as part of windows temporary file management

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:08:11 PM »
Reason to worry?
What I always suggest it's a general cleaning procedure to be 'sure' you're ok:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Jima

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:30:55 AM »
Thanks, Tech.  I appreciate the reply, but I have to say that looks like an awful lot of work.
What do you think of sanctuaryforever's response?   Is that the best way to explain the loss of the Malware warning?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:24:36 AM »
Thanks, Tech.  I appreciate the reply, but I have to say that looks like an awful lot of work.
What do you think of sanctuaryforever's response?   Is that the best way to explain the loss of the Malware warning?
Generally and shortly, yes.
To be sure, take the long and secure way ;)
The best things in life are free.