Author Topic: 4.8 pro VRDB  (Read 5048 times)

Tophat

4.8 pro VRDB
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:55:52 AM »
I recently uninstalled Norton 360, using their un install tool. Ran it, rebooted, ran CCleaner, did this 3 times. Then downloaded avast 4.8 pro. Just getting acquainted with the program. I have the a balloon but no i balloon. I have checked the post on forum for help. I changed my screen saver to avast and set time to 1 minute. Screen saver came on and avast was reading files, took about 25 minutes. On the simple user screen,
the VRDB don't done yet.

Not sure what to do at this point.

Running Winxp SP2 Home

Thank you for any help

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: 4.8 pro VRDB
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 07:20:32 AM »
Do you mean that the "i" icon for the VRDB hasn't yet appeared (animated), or that it has, but hasn't finished doing its thing? If the second, don't worry about it. It checks/builds files fairly frequently and for a while, following a new install. If the former, right click the Avast icon, and under VRDB, check that the icons are not merged. If you want you can also command it to build the VRDB from that menu.
(If you do that, and it doesn't build - the icon will become rather animated - then there is a problem with it.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Tophat

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »
I have no "i" icon. When I right click the "a" icon there is nothing about VRDB. I did click on the program update. Still no i icon. Since the beginning, there has been no i icon. Only ref. to VRDB is on the simple user, saying not done yet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
Isn't the VRDB listed on the 'a' blue icon?
If not, isn't the 'i' icon hidden among others by Windows?
The best things in life are free.

Tophat

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 04:41:58 PM »
The i icon is not in the hidden icons. There is no VRDB listed when I right click the a icon. When I place the pointer over the a icon,  "avast! On-access Scanner : 8 provider(s) total, 7 running.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 04:52:53 PM »
The i icon is not in the hidden icons. There is no VRDB listed when I right click the a icon. When I place the pointer over the a icon,  "avast! On-access Scanner : 8 provider(s) total, 7 running.
The missing one should be Outlook plugin, that only runs when you open MS Outlook (not the Express).
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Tophat

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:32:44 PM »
The missing one should be Outlook plugin, that only runs when you open MS Outlook (not the Express).
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Followed the above, nothing has changed. Still no VRDB when right clicking the a icon. The same provider statement when dragging pointer over the a icon.
I am using OE not outlook.

Tophat

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 06:09:14 PM »
Anyone got ideas how to get everything we it is supposed to be?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:53:43 PM »
Check the avast4.ini file settings for this:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10271#msg10271
ShowTaskbarIcon=1

Tophat

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 03:42:06 AM »
On boot up today, the i balloon is there, I merged them, so guess I am good to go

Thank you for the help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 05:01:35 AM »
On boot up today, the i balloon is there, I merged them, so guess I am good to go
Thank you for the help.
Glad you've succeed ;)