Author Topic: Avast! Antivirus software  (Read 2792 times)

sophs1105

Avast! Antivirus software
« on: June 08, 2008, 04:32:06 PM »
Hi there,

I am new to Avast! and have just downloaded the home edition. However I just wanted to confirm that the avast anti-virus and anti-spyware are up and running automatically as soon as my computer is turned on, or do I specifically have to click the avast icon on my desktop to get them working?

Also, when I click on the blue avast icon (on the bottom right of my desktop, next to the clock) it just brings up the on-access scanner, and not the anti-virus software - does this still mean that the anti-virus software is running?

If the anti-virus is running - will I get an error message if a virus has got into my computer, or will I only be notified when I do the scans?

One last question - is it ok to keep my windows firewall on, or does avast have its own firewall?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! Antivirus software
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »
I am new to Avast! and have just downloaded the home edition. However I just wanted to confirm that the avast anti-virus and anti-spyware are up and running automatically as soon as my computer is turned on, or do I specifically have to click the avast icon on my desktop to get them working?
Shortly, the protection is automatic since booting.

Also, when I click on the blue avast icon (on the bottom right of my desktop, next to the clock) it just brings up the on-access scanner, and not the anti-virus software - does this still mean that the anti-virus software is running?
Sure.

If the anti-virus is running - will I get an error message if a virus has got into my computer, or will I only be notified when I do the scans?
When a virus is detected (on access, resident), you'll be warned by a virus alert.

One last question - is it ok to keep my windows firewall on, or does avast have its own firewall?
Sure, keep Windows firewall. avast is just an antivirus/antispyware and not a firewall.

Welcome to forums.
The best things in life are free.