Author Topic: Can only do Simple scan with free avast  (Read 3524 times)

zmikeo

Can only do Simple scan with free avast
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:52:04 AM »
I have only been able to do the simple scan on Avast 4.8 free, both of the other scans have frozen at 10%.
Anything I can do about it ?

onlysomeone

Re: Can only do Simple scan with free avast
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:31:47 AM »
what do you mean with freeze (whole system hangs or just the actual file scanned doesn't change)?
how long did you wait for avast! to continue?

rassel

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:36:42 AM »
what do you mean with freeze

I'm sure that he is saying that the percent of scan is stopped at 10%

zmikeo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:54:30 AM »
On the standard scan it stopped at 10%, with the files checked number unchanged for at 30minutes.
The Thorough scan, which I am attempting again and will report back on that.

rassel

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:58:33 AM »
What is the last file avast scanned until 10%? and what is the size of the file?

zmikeo

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »
I expect its just me being impatient  :-[ But shall run them again for longer and see how it goes.
Was on AVG before so just getting used to avast.

zmikeo

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 07:42:49 AM »
I ran the Standard scan overnight for 7 hours and it is still stuck at 10%,

So I wan't giving it too short a time to complete.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 01:50:25 AM »
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximatelly at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

Additionally, you can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.