Author Topic: Free advast problem  (Read 8029 times)

cerberus6666

Free advast problem
« on: June 09, 2008, 08:28:41 PM »
Yes i have had this program for awhile and love it..but i have noticed over time more and more file son my PC either wont be scanned by avast or are corrupted..nothing really happens to my PC..I'm only one who uses it and kinda strict on whats on my PC lol..but everytime i do my scan well now its around 106 files wont delete,move,repair, or anything else cause it says there corrupted..its growing slowly though and I'm curious if anyone knows how to help me with this problem..the files that are corrupted are around my system volume files

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Free advast problem
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:28 PM »
There really is nothing to worry about corrupt may only mean avast can't unpack it fully and reports corrupt. There is nothing you can do about that if they did happen to be corrupt, you still couldn't do anything about it.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text. If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cerberus6666

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »
oh ok thank you...i was worried for a bit..strange though only password stuff on my pc beside login into my user ( i have a xp) is my chat logs and there cleared out every week or so...but i shall do some deep cleaning and i hope it fixes this up this problem :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:15:02 PM »
So you don't have Spybot, or AdAware (or similar)?
The System Volume files are password protected (packed) by Windows itself, I believe,
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:17:48 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

littlebit1

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:42:10 AM »
It seems to me like alot of this is happening lately  ??? I don't remember so many people asking about files that Avast can't scan. Could it be a problem with Avast? Seems to me like it is a common occurrence, that I don't recall happening as often before.
Liz

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 01:34:01 AM »
Nothing wrong in avast, you have look at the reason given by avast for not being able to scan it/them against their location and file name as there are many legitimate reasons why files cant be scanned and that is the same for all AVs.

cerberus6666

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 03:23:25 AM »
oh no i dont got spybot anymore..ever since they redone there site so u got to pay for the sob program now i got rid of it lol..and i cant find a decent adware program...they one i got right now its to weak..its ad-aware but i need a free edition which will work good...all these trial ones of course stinks lol...and i just did some cleaning and re-scanned my pc..got over 258 files curropted..i manage to kill most of them down to 108..but still that number is slowly climbing..

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 05:33:08 AM »
Read Tech's answer at post 2 again. There is no reason to worry about files reported by Avast as corrupted. Don't go deleting them, unless you're absolutely sure you don't need them. Very important.
Spybot S&D is free. You don't have to pay for it. (You may donate  :)) What ever you are looking at is not Spybot, if it's demanding money. (The first Google hit for Spybot is actually for SpywareBot, a rogue. Don't download it.)
Good replacements for the rather average AdAware include Superantispyware, MBAM, and Asquared.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

cerberus6666

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »
ohi kow not to go deleting those important files..just clearing history and stuff like that...the spybot s&d i heard before that you can only get so many updates before u had to start pay for it..buti guess not lol..well ok i go spybot agian and i shall see what all happens

Hmm i have noticed theres alot of people askign questions..i just hope those problems odont come to me lol..well least if they do the answers will already be down lol

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »
Just a curiosity... why do people call advast instead of avast?
I see this mistake a lot of times...
Maybe it comes from ad-aware?
The best things in life are free.

cerberus6666

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:32:06 AM »
lol ya i never really noticed that but thats true lol its werid but oh well least we all know what we talkin about

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:41:24 AM »
lol ya i never really noticed that but thats true lol its werid but oh well least we all know what we talkin about
Never mind... advast here is avast ;D
We understand each other ;)
The best things in life are free.

tls

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 01:44:54 AM »
Just a curiosity... why do people call advast instead of avast?
I see this mistake a lot of times...
Maybe it comes from ad-aware?

The similarity to ad-aware seems like a possibility.  Also maybe more commonly used or commonly heard words in the English language begin with "adv."  Advantage, advise, advertise, advance, adverb, adjective, and advent are a few that come to mind.  I can't think of as many common or often-used words beginning with "av."  Average and avenue--average is used maybe more often, but it is outnumbered.  I could be wrong, but I think I notice more words beginning with "adv."  Or maybe it is just easier to type "adv." 

And the most important thing is that we understand each other.  :)

cerberus6666

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 03:07:56 AM »
u smarta** lol