Author Topic: Uninstall Confuzzlement!  (Read 2187 times)

tora

Uninstall Confuzzlement!
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »
No matter what I try, I can't uninstall Avast. The moment I installed it and rebooted everything went wrong. I can't access Internet and most programs. My computer is now useless - I'm using a relative's right now. I believe it's because I didn't uninstall AVG first. I've tried EVERYTHING!

I downloaded the uninstall utility to my flash drive, but my computer won't let me access it. I've tried getting to the file multiple ways: Search won't work, Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs is mysteriously blank, I can access My Documents, but not My Computer (to get to C Drive where the program folder is), Internet browser just sits in a perpetual state of loading, etc. It's like it's deliberately preventing me from getting to the file to remove it (like something out of a bad AI movie- "I'm sorry, but I cannot allow you to delete me.")!

What can I do? Turning off either AVG or Avast does nothing. I'm stuck.  :'(

ardvark

Re: Uninstall Confuzzlement!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:25:46 PM »
Hi....

Yikes! :(

It's NEVER a good idea to run two antivirus programs at the same time!

Are you running Windows XP? Try getting into "safe mode" and uninstalling AVG from there. The preferable way is to download a copy of AVG and uninstall through the setup program but with no internet connection, you will have to go through "Add/Remove Programs."

Instructions are here...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/safemodexp.htm

See how that works. :)

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:28:13 PM by ardvark »

tora

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:17:49 PM »
 :D Thank you. Once I managed to get into safe mode, I was able to uninstall through Add/Remove Programs. Whew! I'm so relieved. I'm replying from my now workable computer. Thanks.

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:47:05 AM »
Hi...

You're more than welcome!

I'm glad it worked. :)

Best Regards...