Author Topic: Avast Termination  (Read 12510 times)

AverageJoe

Avast Termination
« on: June 20, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
hi,

was messing around and figured out how to terminate all Avast's processes running without any warnings completely disabling the program

I am running Avast Home most recent update (4.8.1201)

I can let u know how i did it, do you want me to send a PM? 

Obviously i am reporting in the interest of improving the security of Avast, for a good reason, trying to help its security improve.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:45:28 PM by AverageJoe »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Termination
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:36:56 AM »
You can post how you've done...
Was the 'Self-defense' module enabled and even so you were able to disable avast?
The best things in life are free.

AverageJoe

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »
The only option i found for self-defense in avast was "disable self defense" and it wasn't checked so i assume its on by default.

I used APT (Kernel Kill Method #2 was successful) ...basically it uses the ZwTerminateProcess kill method (ntoskrnl.exe)
from a device driver loaded onto the system.

and avast doesn't block this..although they do block Kernel Kill Method #1 (ZwTerminateThread)

I was able to kill ALL avast processes and shut it down completely without any attempt by avast to stop this from occuring...
which is bad because I'm sure malware writers could use this to disable avast and then load viruses onto the system.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:00:59 AM by AverageJoe »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:01:17 AM »
which is bad because I'm sure malware writers could use this to disable avast and then load viruses onto the system.
What viruses can't do is disable the self-defense module... so, will you be able to kill avast with the self-defense module turned on?

AverageJoe

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 01:29:25 AM »
Thats what I did...

Like i said, there is no option of turning self-defense mode "on" , only "off", which i did not mess with.  Meaning its on.  I assume

Avast resisted about 16 other methods of killing it, but it fell to this one. 

Additionally, i just found another method of terminating avast (Crash #1 in APT) ; it tries to crash the target with the VirtualProtectX method, which attempts to fatally crash the target process by setting each page of its virtual memory to PAGE_NOACCESS (kernel32.dll)
(was able to shutdown almost every process with this, except the AshWebsv.exe and AshUpdsv.exe, so the main avast was gone...although those 2 processes remained. 

With the first method (ZwTerminateProcess) I was able to kill off ALL the avast processes, thus disabling it completely. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:59:44 AM by AverageJoe »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
Like i said, there is no option of turning self-defense mode "on" , only "off", which i did not mess with.
Yes, it's on by default.

Avast resisted about 16 other methods of killing it, but it fell to this one. 
They acknowledged that avast could be disabled by some methods. I had a Bagle (Beagle) infection that destroyed my Vista installation starting by avast one. They've tried a balance between a too invasive and conservative protection that messes other applications functions. Maybe they can find a solution for this method in particular.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:22:16 AM »
The self-defense module is protecting against user-mode methods only. If the malware is running on ring-0, it can do basically anything it wants (overwrite memory, ...). So yes, you can kill avast! with kernel kill.

The crash, however, should not work... I guess Vlk will take a look at that.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 01:06:01 AM »
Is there any way to protect avast against kernel kill?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Prevent loading drivers (maybe some behavior blocker could do that?)

AverageJoe

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 06:46:30 PM »
It definitely should protect against Kernel kills, it could do that with its own device drivers...

To keep other device drivers from getting certain permissions that would allow them to terminate it. 

To only protect user-mode, will not be enough protection. 

Joe

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 08:52:13 PM »
If the malware is already running in a driver, it can do anything - such as overwriting the memory of the driver that's preventing the kernel kill - so it's a lost fight anyway.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:29:34 PM »
Sometimes, people ask for the impossible...  ::)

AverageJoe

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
If the malware is already running in a driver, it can do anything - such as overwriting the memory of the driver that's preventing the kernel kill - so it's a lost fight anyway.

Umm, then don't let the malware run a driver.  Its that easy.  Don't be a defeatist.  Your responsibility as part of the antivirus company is to protect such drivers from being able to create "a lost fight", so don't let it happen.  Look at how good Kaspersky is against self-termination; this method didn't work on them...

When I did my testing, I took that issue into consideration.  I only launched my attempt at process termination (and the device driver associated with it) AFTER the antivirus was fully protecting my system.  Therefore, it had FULL control and ability to block such an attack and FAILED, leaving it compromised.

Therefore, it is QUITE possible to block against this...just block that method of termination (ZwTerminateProcess), also, harden attempts against the Crash I was able to execute.  that i mentioned earlier. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:06:33 PM by AverageJoe »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »

Umm, then don't let the malware run a driver.  Its that easy.

;D  Well, if avast! detected the driver (or the malware dropping the driver), then of course it wouldn't allow it to be loaded. We're talking about new, undetected malware - when none of the files is detected. So no, it's not that easy.

But yes, it's just about blocking a driver loading (or installation) in general - as I wrote previously. Of course, it's not possible to block all drivers (many applications use their own drivers, and you wouldn't be happy if they were blocked). So, what is needed is a behavior blocker, announcing suspicious or unusual events - with rules, exclusions, whitelist...
I'd say it will happen in the future version of avast!, but it's simply not possible right now.

Look at how good Kaspersky is against self-termination; this method didn't work on them...

That's what I am saying - yes, it would probably be possible to block this one particular method - but it's not a real protection, the driver can do anything; if it wants to kill Kaspersky, it can.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:19:31 PM by igor »

AverageJoe

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 09:55:49 PM »
So, what is needed is a behavior blocker, announcing suspicious or unusual events - with rules, exclusions, whitelist...

Right, that is what I was trying to say, a prompt that asks the user "do you want to install this" , sort of a built in HIPS for the antivirus...would have to not conflict with other HIPS too though..I'm not sure whether the end solution is to have 1 hips program for the entire machine by itself, or each one built into firewalls and antivirus to protect...because we don't want them fighting...what do you think about that?

Yes you're right,  Kaspersky isn't invincible but its pretty damn hard to remove..because of the HIPS-like behavior it uses...if the user makes the right choices of what to block, they might be okay. 

It's not possible to fix now, I suppose that will have to stay vulnerable then...kind of worries me.
Why is it not possible?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:09:58 PM by AverageJoe »