Author Topic: Tell it "NO!"  (Read 3428 times)

bmoner

Tell it "NO!"
« on: June 22, 2008, 02:07:05 AM »
I was wondering, how can I configure avast to make sure that it never scans, reads or reacts to items in a specific HDD?

I develop programs that have an *.exe extension, but when I go into the folder that my program(s) is kept in; avast screams at me saying it's found a virus (which it hasn't). And although I tell it to "Do Nothing" to that file, I lose all functionality of that file/program after I hit "Do Nothing" and end up having to rebuild or recompile a new program.

How can I stop this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Tell it "NO!"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 03:12:00 AM »
By excluding the file/s not the drive which would leave a gaping hole in your security.

Telling it to do nothing just tells avast not to take any action (move, delete, etc.) but it won't allow a suspect/infected file to be run.

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

What is the purpose of these files ?

Add it to the exclusions lists:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and
Program Settings, Exclusions (right click the avast ' a ' icon)

Exclusions should only be done if you confirm that the detection is false.
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:03:49 AM »
"No action" equals to "Deny access". This means that file will in fact be left there but access to it will be denied in order to prevent possible infection.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

bmoner

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »
Thanks. This exclusion will not be on my main drive, but on an external that I do all of my developing on. SO it won't be that big of a risk for my system.

I'll definitely try what you suggested DavidR and see if that works for me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

There are times when excluding external drives can be awkward as the drive letter may change depending on what usb storage devices you might have. You can use the ? wildcard, which is for a single character, like ?:\ this would be for any drive letter, followed by the location and file/s you want to exclude.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:06:45 PM »
Thanks. This exclusion will not be on my main drive, but on an external that I do all of my developing on. SO it won't be that big of a risk for my system.
I think so... there are a lot of infections that come with non-fixed drivers.
Exclude only the file in question (or a folder with your *.exe files) only.
If you submit it to avast, they can correct the false positive detection like David said.
The best things in life are free.