Author Topic: Avast free version and the new Spyware Doctor issue  (Read 8744 times)

graak

Avast free version and the new Spyware Doctor issue
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:39:06 AM »
The latest version of Avast detects the module update.exe as a Trojan which is a false positive. Locks up the file and the only way around that is to turn off avast while updating spyware doctor. Allot of people are having this issue. go here: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52489

If you do not have a password to log in, just reply here and I will let them know what the deal is.

The file is to big to send to you (Avast) and people who tried to call you guys (Avast) have tried to get through but can not. I told them that I would make the initiative, post here,  and get this ball rolling.

Avast has been getting allot of false positives lately. This is just one of them. Oh and if you can not see the screen shot on the  link because you do not have a login or password, I am reposting it here. Note: screen shot not from my computer but might as well have been because the error is the same, as well as on every other computer with the same issue.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:41:04 AM by graak »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast free version and the new Spyware Doctor issue
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 06:32:24 AM »
I do not want to downplay the irritation that folks feel when there is a false positive from any of the protection solutions they employ.  Sometimes (I know it is only sometimes) those false positives turn out to be real detections.

You do have the choice to "continue" you also have the choice to add files you believe to be false positives to the "on access" exclusion list in the Standard Shield of avast while the problem is being resolved. 

I know that there have been a number of "higher profile" false positives in avast recently and, having been affected by some of them too, I am aware of how it feels.

I am certain that the very professional team running avast are also keenly aware of this issue too. 

This is one of those "damned if you do - damned if you do not" circumstances.  In this forum you will find others complaining with equal vehemence that avast is not fast enough in adding detection for known viruses.  So, the avast team's efforts to be more responsive and rapidly include detections made available to them produce the false positives we are seeing.

I sincerely hope that, on reflection of their quality control processes, the avast folks can find a balance that better satisfies the concerns of those irritated by false positive and those demanding faster responsiveness to threats.

When I reflect on the downside of false positives it is my hope that avast will err on the side of caution. Though I too get irritated and vent my frustration here when faced with false positives I try to remember how much I and those I support (do not) pay for this excellent product, for the outstanding interaction with the development team and the invaluable effort of others given freely in this forum. 

All of us get to make the choices of which product we will go with.  Can avast do better? I know they can but, more importantly, I believe they know they can ... and will.  I will stick around to see them do so.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »
@ graak
There is another topic on this, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36607.0 and you could have added it to that, it would have bumped it up the chronological order.

The update.exe isn't too large to send as it has already been uploaded to virustotal, and the key to getting it corrected is sending a sample so they can adjust the detection signature. I don't know exactly how big update.exe is as I don't use spyware doctor.

You could also send and email to virus (at) avast dot com, without an attachment if it is genuinely too big outlining the problem with a0 a link to this topic but probably more so a link to the other topic which included the virustotal results and perhaps they can did out the sample from virustotal.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:56:09 PM »
Avast has been getting allot of false positives lately.
There is a reason for that... until they get some part of updating signatures method into gold, they will happen... afaik, they're working on it. Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience.

But look, avast is being the first on certain infections due to these improvements.
The best things in life are free.