Author Topic: dissappearing modem  (Read 7913 times)

galooma

dissappearing modem
« on: April 03, 2004, 05:45:19 AM »
the last couple of times i have bootedup the dial up modem has been not present . Can anyone suggest why this might be happening? its not a big deal as it only takes a minute to re-install it but im worried it may mean something else is wrong. :-\

techie101

Re:dissappearing modem
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 08:29:37 AM »
galooma,

This can sometimes be caused by out of date drivers.
Go to the vendor website for your modem and make sure that the drivers you are using are current.

Another cause can be out of date IDE driver files.
IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment.
It is a code generating source which is used widely in games and storage devices such as hard drives.

I will do some research and see what I can come up with.

techie
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 08:33:27 AM by techie101 »

galooma

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 11:08:05 AM »
thanks for your feedback , i wish i could give you some info about the modem but there isn`t a brand name or model number to be seen . All i can say is its a data,fax,voice ,56k modem and the installation i do is with the standard generic windows drivers and it works. :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 05:22:18 PM »
Sometimes, the slot got 'fryed', bad contact or anything else.

If you change the modem jumper to another slot (probably you were using COM3 and can change to COM4) and test if windows recognize the new hardware and the modem works...

Maybe you will need hardware assistence from a friend of you...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 06:55:08 PM »
is the modem integrated into the logic board? if its not, and its a hardware problem, 56k modems are cheap now <$20
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 07:09:06 PM »
A "fryed" modem as you put it usually results from a line surge or lightning strike.

However, unless I misunderstand, the modem does work, but the drivers need to be reinstalled.  Yes?
What did you mean by "not present"?

A typical indication of a damaged modem is that it will constantly loose the connection, but will reconnect when commanded.  This does not seem to be the case.  A poor or oxidized connection could be more likely, as Technical has stated.

You can normally find out what the modem brand is by going into the Device manager/Modem folder.

Mac is also correct.  Dialups are very cheap to replace now.

techie
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 07:12:49 PM by techie101 »

galooma

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 12:36:16 AM »
thanks for your feedback guys ,its not losing connection its just the installation of the modem seems to vanish sometimes and as i have said i just open modem installation wizard and re-install standard drivers from windows and were away again . Has happened around 4 to 5 times out of the last ten boot ups so its intermittent  and easily resolved .  :)

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 01:19:11 AM »
All i can say is its a data,fax,voice ,56k modem
If you feel comfortable you can (assuming the modem is not integrated into the logic board) take a flashlight and look for a serial number. you should be able to do a google search with that number to find out the model. I did that to find out the logic board model in my old gateway laptop so I could update the BIOS
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 01:13:49 AM »
galooma,

I think that I may have something for you:

Read over this the content of this link to run a modem diagnostic (It wa easier than typing it all out...hahaha):
http://support.egate.net/article_display.asp?articleid=1776098365

Then, try this:
If you're using a WinModem and are unlucky enough to have it vanish from the System Control Panel, here's a likely solution:

1.  Go to the hidden c:\windows\inf directory. To see this directory, you may need to go to the View menu, choose "Folder Options...," click the "View" tab if one is present, and then check the option "show all files."

2.  Search for the WinModem modem model number as a text string in each ".inf" file in this directory.

3.  Rename the files that you suspect reference your WinModem. Don't use the ".inf" extension in the newly named file.

4.  Go to the manufacturer's web site and find the latest driver/software files.

5.  Reboot your machine (the modem should reappear in the Control Panel).

Note:
Install the modem's software from disk (important!).  Each modem has a different method for installing its software.
Be sure to read the manufacturer's ReadMe files to see how this should be done for your particular modem's brand and model.
Note:
Determine the manufacturer as I have described through the Device Manager and download the drivers from the vendor site. While your in the DM, see if any yellow flags show anywhere on the list.  Let me know where they are if so.  These indicate a hardware conflict which we will need to resolve.

Another possible solution is to pull the modem from its PCI slot and move it (naturally to a similar slot  ;D). In some cases, this will cause the modem to reappear in the Control Panel.

Hope this helps.

Techie101

« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 02:01:18 AM by Techie101 »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 02:37:30 AM »
Another possible solution is to pull the modem from its PCI slot and move it (naturally to a similar slot  ). In some cases, this will cause the modem to reappear in the Control Panel.

unless of course its an older system and the modem is INTEGRATED into the logic board.

galooma

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 10:08:53 AM »
thanks a heap for doin the research guys,to answer your question it is a stand alone modem.I had posted this question in another forum as well and 2 days have gone by and still no answer . The modem must be able to read and fears for its life cos its refusing to play up now so having done a read thru your info i now have a handle on how to tackle it . Thanks again   ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 03:19:07 PM »
I had posted this question in another forum as well and 2 days have gone by and still no answer.

Hehe... The avast forum is unique!  ;D
The best things in life are free.

galooma

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 10:12:20 AM »
thats the point i had intended to make and you guys should all feel proud ,this site is high on my favorites for that reason .more kudos for all at avast . 8)