Author Topic: Win32:Kolabc-CN [Wrm] in every game from Big Fish Games?!  (Read 11956 times)

amandapace

Win32:Kolabc-CN [Wrm] in every game from Big Fish Games?!
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:48:51 AM »
According the BFG website, some antivirus programs recognize portions of their programs as a worm or trojan. What can I do about this? I can't open the game manager without having sirens go off, lol.
Each of the games (some downloaded yesterday, have already played once, some downloaded today - or tried to) gets a message like this:

C:\Program Files\Puzzle Hero\jzkpnzq.exe
Win32:Kolabc-CN [Wrm]
080710-0, 07/10/2008

The yellow and red message at the bottom of my screen usually says that such-and-such program has "a sample of Win32:Kolabc-CN [Wrm]" whatever that means.

bpgisme

Re: Win32:Kolabc-CN [Wrm] in every game from Big Fish Games?!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:52:37 AM »
Yeah, I've got the same problem.  I just bought a game from Big Fish yesterday and can't play it today thanks to this.   >:(

dreamyr

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:00:06 AM »
I've been having the same issue as well. I was able to get it to recognize my existing games (some from over a year ago were showing up overnight with virus warnings) but I'm unable to download anything from that site now.
Has anyone put in a ticket for this yet?

amandapace

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:01:35 AM »
I just tried to run one of the older games that I've had for a few months, and they got the same warning, so no game playing for me... :'(
I have no idea how to report it, lol. This is my first time having an issue!

dreamyr

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:08:50 AM »
When it happened to the first game I tried playing (I think this was maybe four days ago or so?) I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it ran fine. When I started having trouble with dowloading new games tonight I tried loading another older game and got the same virus warning. After some fiddling around I was able to set it up to recognize the older games by choosing >Program Settings, >Exclusions, and then browsing my desktop and clicking off each of the existing games as exlusions. They loaded fine after that, but it still leaves us with the pink elephant of not being able to download new content.
BFG had a link on the help page suggesting that users getting that virus message try updating their virus software and re-attempting to install, but everything for my software is up to date and I'm still getting it.
If no one else has submitted a ticket I'll give it a try now. Now to deal with that great *bwa-WUMP!* message while trying it...

amandapace

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 03:23:52 AM »
LOL. Well, I don't have a single game on my computer that I didn't get from BFG, so I guess I'm out of commission for now. I guess I can play some trial from another site for now ::)

dreamyr

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 03:25:41 AM »
At least they make it possible to re-install purchased games if need be! Still, doesn't help us enjoy new product...
Hopefully the tech team isn't being bombarded with these tickets. I'd hate to spam them over it!

amandapace

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 03:30:01 AM »
For future reference, how do you submit an issue? I looked around on the website, then just came to the forums hoping for help, lol.

dreamyr

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 03:32:32 AM »
There's a link to submit a ticket on http://support.avast.com/
You'll need to make sure your email address is registered before you can submit anything. Even though I have the confirmation email from when I registered Avast last fall it wouldn't recognize my addy so I had to re-register. Took maybe five minutes from start to finish, so it's no big hassle.
And now I think I've grumbled at the 'puter long enough for the eve...hopefully there will be some tips or resolution tomorrow!

hoechst2003

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 03:36:37 AM »
Wow and i thought  it was only on my PC today.  I cant play ANY Games from Big Fish .Played yesterday with no problem. Avast tells me i got a Virus Win32:Kolabc-Cn (wrm)
Whats going on?  ???

amandapace

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 03:52:41 AM »
It seems to me that something in the most recent update doesn't work with BFG, so we just have to wait for tech support to figure it out. I'm gonna go try out some games from yahoo or something, i guess. ::)

bpgisme

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 03:55:33 AM »
Yeah, I've tried everything plus reporting it and sending in the "suspect" files.  I guess that's it for tonight, darn it.  >:(

johnmouse

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 04:14:26 AM »
My partner and I both got the same thing today.  All the BigFish exe files have somehow changed.  I put in a ticket to Avast on this.  Looks like a false warning probably due to today's automatic update.  I opened different applications and they all work fine.  Did a virus check and couldn't find anything that wasn't a BigFish game.

Looks like we'll all have to wait for Avast to fix it.  May have to play solitaire with REAL cards LOL!

amandapace

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 04:20:41 AM »
I doubt I even have a deck of real cards, lol!

supergran82

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 06:21:37 AM »
Count me in as not accessing big fish also, and if it isn't fixed quick, I can see I will just be uninstalling Avast. I have only been trialing it for two days, and then this. Running other virus checkers online do not show a worm.