Author Topic: Any Pros & Cons About Avant & Maxthon?  (Read 10504 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Any Pros & Cons About Avant & Maxthon?
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:07:22 AM »
Any Good Points ... or Warnings about either Avant or Maxthon Browsers?  I want to possibly try one or both of them out.  I of course do pretty much almost everything else with Opera.  But, my niece's Blog is just being persistently pesky and randomly uncooperative.  Firefox ... been there, done that ... don't want to go there again.  AOL won't work with that Blog.  So, I thought possibly some other Browser might do the trick.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Any Pros & Cons About Avant & Maxthon?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
They are both IE based computers.
They're dressed up a little nicer and have some extra bells and whistles but they are still IE based.
So if you have no objections to using Internet Explorer, they go ahead and try them.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »
Whilst they are IE clones, what they do offer is an easier user interface, when it comes to disabling activeX or Java or JavaScript and many other settings that would require deeper digging in IE to disable. See image example for Avant settings.
With these you can do something temporarily with a couple of mouse clicks and reverse it quickly when you are done.

I first used Avant, then Maxthon and back with Avant as my secondary browser with Firefox 3.0 as my primary browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 12:55:53 AM »
I first used Maxthon then became a Flock user.
Now I have Opera installed.
But I'm a Firefox user ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:20:59 AM »
They are both IE based computers.
They're dressed up a little nicer and have some extra bells and whistles but they are still IE based.
So if you have no objections to using Internet Explorer, they go ahead and try them.

I had read yesterday about both of them being IE-based.  But, it wasn't until today that I read at the C/Net download.com site that Maxthon isn't just sorta IE-based, but rather ... it NEEDS to have IE 5 or 6 existing in your computer.  Well, I guess it's like AOL in that regard since AOL needs IE.  Initially I had understood that they were IE-based, but that they were independent ... their own entities so to speak.  But, I guess at least Maxthon is the equivalent of putting an Overcoat on IE.  I don't know if Avant NEEDS IE existing in your computer.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:22:44 AM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:30:47 AM »
Whilst they are IE clones, what they do offer is an easier user interface, when it comes to disabling activeX or Java or JavaScript and many other settings that would require deeper digging in IE to disable. See image example for Avant settings.
With these you can do something temporarily with a couple of mouse clicks and reverse it quickly when you are done.

I first used Avant, then Maxthon and back with Avant as my secondary browser with Firefox 3.0 as my primary browser.

Let's talk Security.  Let's say in its Default state, out of the box, out of the starting gate so to speak.  Would you say that at worst ... Avant is No more a Security Risk than AOL?

Do YOU personally have ActiveX, Java / JavaScript disabled on Avant?  Would this prevent some websites from loading or from loading in their entirety?

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 01:38:56 AM »
I first used Maxthon then became a Flock user.
Now I have Opera installed.
But I'm a Firefox user ;)

In recent times, I was going to try Flock, but it doesn't work on Windows 98SE.  Hey, so how do you like Opera 9.50 and 9.51?  I loved 9.27, but ever since 9.50 and 9.51 came onto the scene ... Whew!  I've been on a Roller Coaster of Highs & Lows.  Sometimes things will be clicking along OK ... or at least as OK as can be considering 9.50 / 9.51 still have Bugs ... and then things will venture more into Semi-Disaster territory.  This past Sunday I had actually downgraded to my trusty ole 9.27 because I was fed up with the inconsistency and glitches of 9.51.  Then today 9.27 Freaked Out and forced me to go back UP to 9.51 again.  I hear 9.52's Official Release is just around the corner.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:34:37 AM »
<snip>
Let's talk Security.  Let's say in its Default state, out of the box, out of the starting gate so to speak.  Would you say that at worst ... Avant is No more a Security Risk than AOL?

Do YOU personally have ActiveX, Java / JavaScript disabled on Avant?  Would this prevent some websites from loading or from loading in their entirety?

I couldn't say I have never been with AOHell.

I very rarely use anything other than Firefox and where I have to use IE I would use the avant clone with all three disabled. If it stops some web sites from loading enabling javascript is usually enough, if it requires activeX it would have to be very important (and a trustworthy site) before I would consider that.

As a dial-up I would also disable a number of other options, like videos and also flash.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 03:22:53 AM »
<snip>

I couldn't say I have never been with AOHell.

I very rarely use anything other than Firefox and where I have to use IE I would use the avant clone with all three disabled. If it stops some web sites from loading enabling javascript is usually enough, if it requires activeX it would have to be very important (and a trustworthy site) before I would consider that.

As a dial-up I would also disable a number of other options, like videos and also flash.

Alrighty, then.  I shall put that in my erudition arsenal.
Okay, Avant is now downloaded and installed.  Another thought crossed my mind.  I don't know if it could be Disaster / Lockup Bait ... or maybe nothing.  As you all know, I have AOL Dial Up as my ISP.  Running Opera & Firefox is No Biggie because those aren't IE-based.  Well, with AOL being dependent on IE and Avant being IE-based, is there going to be conflict of interest?  Is there going to be a fight between AOL and Avant for the Right to configure IE as they each please? Or is this no problem?

I was envisioning logging in onto AOL and everything is running OK.  Then I minimize it and click on the Avant Icon.  Then an Extreme Fighting Match ensues as they each want dibs on IE's services.  Should I put the Avant Pedal to the Metal on top of AOL?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:24:34 AM by Chim »

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 04:52:00 AM »
Maybe I have answered my own question.
I couldn't wait any longer for a reply to my last post.  So, I went ahead and clicked on the Avant Icon.  Initially, things SEEMED to be going smoothly.  I was asked if I wanted the Helpful Tips.  I was like, "Sure!  Why not?"  I was asked where I wanted the Tabs Bar and was informed how to change it in the future if I wanted.  I was asked whether I wanted Large or Small Icons and was informed how to change that in the future.  I clicked on OK.  I then immediately encountered a message that - Avant has performed an Illegal Operation and will be closed.  What the ...?  I didn't even get started and I have already encountered a critical ERROR.  Avant is certainly NOT going to get on my good side this way.  I wonder if the Illegal Operation is due to what I was alluding ... that maybe I WON'T be able to use it superimposed on AOL because they both use IE?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:54:02 AM by Chim »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 01:59:08 PM »
IE is an integral part of the OS and is used for many things (besides the IE browser), like windows explorer for displaying the folder views and for displaying help files, etc. So there should be no conflict or doubtless we would have bumped into it already and wouldn't offer it as a suggestion.

I would ignore this supposed illegal operation, especially as a) it is a one off unless it is a regular occurrence and b) since you appear to have gone on a tweaking fest to see what it can do. Just restart avant or reboot and monitor it in the future.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:11:54 PM »
Well, with AOL being dependent on IE and Avant being IE-based, is there going to be conflict of interest?
Since AOhelL  changes many of your system settings, it's quite possible that your problem lies with AOL.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »
Well, with AOL being dependent on IE and Avant being IE-based, is there going to be conflict of interest?
Since AOhelL  changes many of your system settings, it's quite possible that your problem lies with AOL.

I wouldn't doubt it.  You know ... with me now introducing Avant, or TRYING to introduce Avant onto my computer scene, I am envisioning AOL as this HUGE Castle with an Alligator-infested moat around it.  Then when the Avant Army dares try to get close to AOL's IE-based territory / Empire / Kingdom, the AOL Sentries shoot some flaming warning arrows at Avant that it is performing an unwise, Illegal Operation and that it should retreat immediately.   ;D

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 05:52:36 PM »
IE is an integral part of the OS and is used for many things (besides the IE browser), like windows explorer for displaying the folder views and for displaying help files, etc. So there should be no conflict or doubtless we would have bumped into it already and wouldn't offer it as a suggestion.

I would ignore this supposed illegal operation, especially as a) it is a one off unless it is a regular occurrence and b) since you appear to have gone on a tweaking fest to see what it can do. Just restart avant or reboot and monitor it in the future.

I already tried it again this morning ... 3 times!
And Nope.  It is obvious this is going to be more critical than just ignoring and sidestepping the Illegal Operation message.  I flat out cannot get past the point where I acknowledge that it is OK to use Large Icons on my Toolbars.  So, No Go on the Avant Restarts.  Mission gets aborted every time.  I think it quickly got to the point that there's only one possible alternative.  Uninstalling and Reinstalling Avant.  If that doesn't get it in gear, then it's NOT going to work period.

Since you haven't had AOL, you couldn't have known that there'd conceivably be sibling rivalry between the AOL & Avant IE siblings.

It's possible a Reinstall of Avant might do the trick.  After all, my initial Install of Opera 9.51 left me without the ability to open ANY website.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it then worked OK.  So, maybe this afternoon I'll reinstall Avant.  If it is ascertained that Avant is just not going to be welcomed by AOL, most likely neither will Maxthon or any other IE-based Browser.

drhayden1

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »
have some avant browser for a long time...couple of years and never not a problem along side firefox since it's beginning ??? ::) ;)