Author Topic: AOL Active Virsu Shield  (Read 4384 times)

Hartshorn

AOL Active Virsu Shield
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:20:40 AM »
Some time ago, I installed AOL's free Active Virus Shield (before I found Avast!).  I decided I didn't like it and removed it.  Later, I found Avast! and installed it (Home version 4.8).  However, when it loads at boot-up, I receive  a pop-up stating that Kaspersy AntiVirus is running and that Avast! won't fully work with Kaspersky running.

I've run EasyCleaner, RegSupreme, & Kaspersky remover to remove it. 

I've scrubbed the registry by software and by hand to remove any instance of AOL, AVS, or Kaspersky.  Afterwards, I can find it only in one place -- LEGACY entries in the Registry.

I've searched my hard drive: Services, Programs file, ... everywhere for an instance.  Nothing! 

Still, Avast! reports Kaspersky is still running.  When I check the Avast! icon, it shows me I've 4 providers total with 3 running, so I know I'm not fully protected.

Can anyone suggest how I can finally get fully rid of Kaspersky?  I'm very leery of deleting a LEGACY entry in the Registry -- some forums state it's OK and others state it's very dangerous.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Dave

mikeprince

Re: AOL Active Virsu Shield
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:02:38 AM »
Not quite the same problem, but I too had difficulties coming from ActiveVirusShield to Avast. I eventually solved them by using a Kaspersky removal tool (can't remember which, but check on the Kaspersky site; it had to be run from a CMD prompt). See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36455 for more details.

However I say "eventually solved [my problem]", but I now have it happening again: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37406  :(

carioca

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »
 ;D
hi, buddy,
from now on, only use revo unistaller to remove softwares you gave up. you may dowload it here at http://www.revouninstaller.com best regards
 8)

Some time ago, I installed AOL's free Active Virus Shield (before I found Avast!).  I decided I didn't like it and removed it.  Later, I found Avast! and installed it (Home version 4.8).  However, when it loads at boot-up, I receive  a pop-up stating that Kaspersy AntiVirus is running and that Avast! won't fully work with Kaspersky running.

I've run EasyCleaner, RegSupreme, & Kaspersky remover to remove it. 

I've scrubbed the registry by software and by hand to remove any instance of AOL, AVS, or Kaspersky.  Afterwards, I can find it only in one place -- LEGACY entries in the Registry.

I've searched my hard drive: Services, Programs file, ... everywhere for an instance.  Nothing! 

Still, Avast! reports Kaspersky is still running.  When I check the Avast! icon, it shows me I've 4 providers total with 3 running, so I know I'm not fully protected.

Can anyone suggest how I can finally get fully rid of Kaspersky?  I'm very leery of deleting a LEGACY entry in the Registry -- some forums state it's OK and others state it's very dangerous.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Dave

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 03:39:34 PM »
Have you tried a system restore to before you downloaded AOL Active Virsu Shield?

It's what I had to do after I tried AOL Active Virus Shield.

Kaspersky will never go onto any computer of mine ever again! >:(

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »
Kaspersky will never go onto any computer of mine ever again!
I agree!

I tried it when I was sent a Free subscription and it insisted on removing McAfee SiteAdvisor as it insisted it was a virus . :o

Hartshorn

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:54:44 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions. 

I tried Revo Uninstaller and it found something there and removed it.  But that didn't solve the problem. 

I have tried a Kaspersky removal program, but it wasn't run from a command prompt.  I'll try that and see what happens.

As for system restore, I'd installed it so long ago that I don't know when to restore back to.  I've used a couple of other AV programs in between AVS and Avast!  By the way, so far I like Avast! better than any of the other alternatives.

I installed AVS because all the reports on it at that time were so positive that you just couldn't get any better than Kaspersky ... and it was free.  But I fully concur with your all sentiments: it'll never go on another PC of mine.  That bugger is a real bear to get rid of!!!

Sammo

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »
I had similar problems with AOL Active Virus Shield. I used a-squared HiJackFree and found the files that were running and removed them and now everything is OK. You can get a free copy at http://www.hijackfree.com/en

PapaSmurf

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:53:58 AM »
Just another suggestion here....
I use a small, free program called Process Explorer that
you can find here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

The program is free. Use this to find out what service/process is running.
By right clicking on the process and choosing priorities, you will be given the location
that the service/process is running from, along with other info.
You will also be able to suspend or "kill" the process.

Once the process has been stopped, use Revo as suggested above, but this time use the
start up menue option inside of Revo. Find the service/process that is in the start up menu and remove it.
Then try a restart on your system.
If all of the above steps worked as described, the service/process should now be off.
You then can find the location of the remaining file. Do not delete it, but simply rename it first.
Example: Rename Kasperskypain to Kaspersypain1 or whatever.
If the file will not rename, and says "File in use by another process...", then you will need to go back to
Process Explorer and continue the search. If the file does allow a name change, reboot your system 1 more time.
If all comes up well`, check Avast to see if it is now running smoothly. You may or may not need to to a re-install of Avast, depending on the interference.
Do not delete the file you renamed. Run your system for a week or two, just to make sure no other errors pop up.

These are the steps I use to remove stubborn left-overs and it seems to work for me.
From now on, as suggested above, Use Revo for all uninstalls. ;)

Added: In revo, click on tools, then autorun. A list will pop up, simply uncheck the appropriate box.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:57:50 AM by PapaSmurf »