Author Topic: Avast 4.8 blocking outgoing mail in Thunderbird  (Read 11761 times)

lizgold

Avast 4.8 blocking outgoing mail in Thunderbird
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:53:44 AM »
Hi--

Avast 4 (free) is suddenly blocking outgoing mail in Thunderbird. My server is NOT GoDaddy (I've read these posts).

When I stop On-Access Protection, I can send the email. However, oddly, when I try shutting down each of the "providers" one at a time, Avast continues to block the email.

My port is 25.

I am running XP and ZoneAlarm, but ZoneAlarm is not logging any blocks of Avast.

Help much appreciated!!! ;D

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast 4.8 blocking outgoing mail in Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:48:20 AM »
What is the security setting for the SMTP entry in Thunderbird for the problem account?

lizgold

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:30:12 AM »
"Use name and password" is checked.

"Use secure connection" is "No."

The password has not changed. I tried unchecking "Use name and password," closing Thunderbird, then re-checking it, to see if it would let me enter the password again, but it didn't work.

I found the place to check all the passwords for incoming mail, but not for outgoing mail.

Thanks...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:24:25 PM »
Firstly avast doesn't block it scans and alerts to infection but doesn't block. So there is something else in the mix and the most likely culprit is a firewall blocking ashMaiSv.exe, which in turn would block email because it would be going through the email scanner (that's blocked).

Does Zone Alarm allow ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and try to send your email, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »
If the problem was with ashMaiSv.exe permission in the firewall it should affect both receiving mail and sending mail (since, in fact, both are technincally outbound accesses to the server).  When I used ZA it had only one permission for ashMaiSv.exe - perhaps it now distinguishes accesses by port.

The only provider that should be involved here is the Internet Mail provider.  If you terminate that provider and the problem of sending the mail persists then there is a completely different issue to be determined.

What is the error message you are getting from Thunderbird?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:15:54 PM by alanrf »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:12:55 PM »
Sorry Alan I missed that implied ability to receive email (as nothing was mentioned about blocking inbound email). avast! doesn't distinguish between ports as far as I'm aware either so there would only be one rule in ZA.

However, it would be nice to have it confirmed that inbound email is received with the internet mail provider enabled ?

It would also be nice to find out what ISP or email servers and port settings are in use ?
If something that isn't using 110 for pop3 would allow receipt of email even if the ashMaiSv.exe were blocked as it wouldn't be using the redirected ports/localhost proxy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lizgold

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 03:16:37 AM »
Sorry for the delay--I had a family emergency, so I couldn't respond.

You are correct that both incoming and outgoing mail were blocked. And also correct that it is only the Internet Mail service that is the problem--when it is shut down, Thunderbird works fine.

I have allowed all privileges in ZoneAlarm to the Avast E-mail scanner service, and there are no blocks being logged in ZoneAlarm. Shutting down ZoneAlarm does not seem to help.

The ISP servers are pop.cybermesa.com and pop.valornet.com. Port is set to 110.

The message I get is:  The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.valornet.com failed." The settings for incoming and outgoing mail are the same as on my other computer, where they work fine. (But it has Norton installed instead of Avast/ZoneAlarm.)

Thanks for your help.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:05:54 AM »
I would suggest deleting the entry for ashMaiSv.exe in ZA as I suggested and try to send your email, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

lizgold

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »
I would suggest deleting the entry for ashMaiSv.exe in ZA as I suggested and try to send your email, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

--I don't know how to do this in ZA free. Can you tell me how?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

--I have AVG Anti-Spyware (free) installed, but it has never caused any conflicts before. I update & run it manually.

--I think I had Norton installed several years ago, and I went through all sorts of shenanigans to get it completely off--the removal tool, you name it.

It's really weird that this just started happening all of a sudden. I've scrutinized all the settings, and they are identical to the ones on my other computer.

Thanks for your patience!

lizgold

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 09:27:18 AM »
OK, I figured out how to delete the entry in ZA, but I'm not sure how this is any better than manually giving the Avast Email Scanner Service all rights in the Program Control window in ZA.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 02:25:27 PM »
OK, I figured out how to delete the entry in ZA, but I'm not sure how this is any better than manually giving the Avast Email Scanner Service all rights in the Program Control window in ZA.
Glitches into ZA. Sometimes, only deleting the entry and starting again is the way of satisfy ZA to work properly...
The best things in life are free.

lizgold

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »
OK, so I tried that, and I've even tried shutting down ZA, but Thunderbird still works only with the Avast Internet Mail service off.

As I said, I only run AVG manually--it's not running in the background.

Any other ideas?

Thanks....

mahiathira

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 09:32:54 AM »
I had a similar problem using outlook configured with gmail. i could solve this by changing the outgoing mail server of my account to "smtp.googlemail.com" from "smpt.gmail.com" and setting the port to "465".
http://techn0l0gy.blogspot.com/2009/04/outlook-blocks-outgoing-mail-when-avast.html

So you too can fix this by changing the outgoing port of the provider to one that is ssl enabled.

Hope this helps

Mahesh