Author Topic: Need help: Netscape Mail and PASS comand  (Read 3638 times)

Exod

Need help: Netscape Mail and PASS comand
« on: April 06, 2004, 05:39:18 PM »
Hi I need some help 'cause I'm new on using avast!...

Recently installed avast and launched the Mail Wizard, but the result was to block my incoming mails... Error message?

PASS error: server localhost answered invalid user or password

'Course I can change my pop server from localhost into pop.bluewin.ch, but am I still protected?

I read something about that, saying that avast uses localhost to receive and analyze mails before returning them to my mail client... Or I think that it was something like that...

So what should I do?

shgoh

Re:Need help: Netscape Mail and PASS comand
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 05:47:25 PM »
try looking at avast help under mail config.. ;)

Exod

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 06:49:16 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Well... as said somewhere near my post...

"Newbie"
"I'm a llama... Er...yeah, so can we say...."

Little explanation: I didn't noticed that avast! doesn't make the auto-config for Netscape after 6.0 edition... Mine is 7.02......

Thank you...

shgoh

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 03:57:02 AM »
it should work for 7.02... ;)

try the manual config

Manual setting of mail protection

The Mail scanner can cooperate with an arbitrary mail program that uses SMTP/POP/IMAP protocols. If you are using a mail program that is not supported by the Mail Protection Wizard and you want the Mail scanner to check incoming and outgoing messages, you can achieve this by manual setting. This operation consists of two steps: you have to change the avast4.ini file and modify the account properties in your mail program.

Step one: changing the file AVAST4.INI

Open avast4.ini file in Notepad editor. You will find this file in the folder Data in your avast! installation folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\avast4\Data.
Find the section named [MailScanner]. Write these lines into this section (if they already exist, change them):
DefaultSmtpServer=smtp.server.com
DefaultPopServer=pop.server.com
DefaultImapServer=imap.server.com (only if you are using IMAP server for incoming mail).
Replace smtp.server.com by the address of the SMTP server you are using, e.g. smtp.tiscali.com. Do the same for POP (and IMAP) server (e.g. pop3.tiscali.com).
If your e-mail program supports SMTP authentication, and also makes it possible to set a different login name for SMTP than for POP, insert the line: UseDefaultSmtp=0.
If your e-mail program does not support SMTP authentication, insert the line: UseDefaultSmtp=1.
Save the changes and close the Notepad editor.

Step two: modifying the account properties in your mail program

Launch your mail program.
Let the program display the account settings.
If you want to check outgoing messages, change the address of SMTP server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1.
If you want to check incoming messages, change the address of POP (IMAP) server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1.
Change user (login) name this way: append the character # (double hash) and the address of your POP (IMAP) server (the same as you specified in the avast4.ini file in Step one). Login name should then look like this:
Ann.Jones#pop3.tiscali.com
If your e-mail program supports SMTP authentication and also makes it possible to set a different login name for SMTP than for POP
If the SMTP authentication is enabled, append the character # and the address of your SMTP server to the login name (e.g. annie2#smtp.tiscali.com).
If the SMTP authentication is disabled, enable it and use the character # together with the address of your SMTP server as the login name (e.g. #smtp.tiscali.com).
Save your changes.
The manual setting of the Mail scanner is now complete.

Exod

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 11:06:22 AM »
Well, thank you...

All what you explained, is also in the help file of avast!, so everything works well now.

Yesterday I tryed the french beta patch and, as I'm french-speaking, it was easier for me to config the program. ;)

Hope it will be soon an update for the main program...