Author Topic: Want to disable scanning of Zip files being downloaded  (Read 2831 times)

Jan J

Want to disable scanning of Zip files being downloaded
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »
First post, and I'm totally new to  Avast.

Vista Home Premium. Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop.  Encountering issue with Large Zipfiles only (+1.6Gb & larger).
Small Zip files don't have this issue, only Large ones do.   I  am running the 3Gb memory switch in Vista Home Premium.
After download, during extract I'm getting CRC errors.  Tests are long & Painful due to the size of files.
It appears (last three tests) that disabling Avast prevents this from happening... but I'm still testing...
(Already updated drivers on Wired & Wireless Networking, and SATA drive), checked event viewer and tested hard drive)... 
Is there a way of telling Avast not to scan downloaded files of certain  types?

Thanks for your patience on this.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Want to disable scanning of Zip files being downloaded
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Are you downloading the ZIP files from web (using a web browser, I mean)?
If yes, you can configure the Web Shield provider accordingly - leftclick avast! tray icon to open the on-access scanner console, expand to detailed view, select WebShield and click Configure.
You can set the exceptions on the 3rd page - either in the form of MIME types, or URLs; I guess URL in the form "*.zip" would do.

On the other hand, I don't think there's any reason avast! should interfere with the download process this way...

PapaSmurf

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:08:21 AM »
It will "interfere" if the user is trying to download cracks...but none of us would ever do that.  :o
Most cracks are zipped now, but Avast is very good at finding them.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:12:10 PM »
Could be, but the "interference" would be in the form of a virus warning - not just silently corrupting the downloaded file...