Author Topic: Windows sound now plays when starting Avast!  (Read 2850 times)

John_E

Windows sound now plays when starting Avast!
« on: July 31, 2008, 12:50:04 AM »
I'm running Avast! 4.8.1201 (I know I've not updated yet) on a Vista (SP1) HP laptop. Been installed since about June 1st with no problems other than VRDB being slow to generate.

I recently noticed when I start Avast! (from system tray or desktop icon) I get the Windows "default beep" sound as soon as Avast!opens. It then checks the memory and seems to perform normally with all other functions.

The last time it was opened to do a manual scan was on 6/25/08 and I don't recall then or any other prior time (until now) Avast! caused a sound to play when opening. I have a more or less default type installation and do not run skins.

I tried turning check memory off and the Windows sound remains. Also tried a repair with no change. I really think this is more of a "Vista thing" than it is Avast! Looked through the Event Viewer and can't find anything relative, although my knowledge is limited. The sound settings in Avast! look normal to me.

Has anyone experienced this behavior or have a clue?

Thanks,
John in STL

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows sound now plays when starting Avast!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 01:16:37 AM »
I would say there is little point in chasing a possible problem in an old version.

So I would suggest an update, however, since you are experiencing a problem of sorts I would go further and do a clean reinstall.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

John_E

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »
Thanks, David. I'll give a fresh install with the current version a try, but, I'm baffled as to why it's happening since no significant system changes have taken place. We'll see...

John in STL

P.S. Not that anyone cares - I'm one of those average users not generally happy with Vista compared to XP!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »
You're welcome.

I have just bought a new system an I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't have had XP Pro installed, I just don't feel the need for what it offers, perhaps windows 7 when it rears its head maybe ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security