Author Topic: Wha?! How do sites get exploited...  (Read 2332 times)

alexthegreat

Wha?! How do sites get exploited...
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:31:20 PM »
Well recently I want to open up my own blog website.  The thing is I'm hearing so much about hacking sites to redirect you, and all this stuff.  The thing is how do I protect myself against this.  I will have ads in my blog...

I am not very good in HTML.  I don't know any CSS.  But I can make a reasonable blog with the stuff I know.

I rather not have to investigate the code every hour..

So can someone explain how this happens and how to prevent it.

Thank you.

P.S Sorry this is a bit off topic.  But I rather not sign up to another forum.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Wha?! How do sites get exploited...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:47:34 PM »
I don't use blogs, but what I've read is that you need to have a clean code and then use a strong password to edit it.
The best things in life are free.

alexthegreat

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:49:24 PM »
What's clean code?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:52:07 PM »
It usually comes about because of poor security and that is primarily down to your blog provider. They should be using the latest software that doesn't have any known security vulnerabilities that can be exploited.

And you too can play a part as there must be a password (not less than 8 characters of mixed case and alpha numeric to make it harder to crack) that you have to enter to modify the site or upload pages.

The most common sites to be hacked are ones that use PHP and it is frequently because the software isn't up to date. This is normally injecting code into a page, most commonly an iframe tag that executes a file or directs the visitor to a site where they will be infected. There are now automated bots that trawl the internet looking for vulnerabilities that can be exploited, if found they may even be able to automate the hacking too.

So you should really address this to your blog host.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alexthegreat

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 11:54:46 PM »
Ok, that sounds good.  I'll probably do some research for a month then make one :D

Thank you for the great post.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:57:03 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security