Author Topic: Email printing/web page problems  (Read 8617 times)

susandaly

Email printing/web page problems
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:06:58 PM »
Good morning.  Our office wants to start using Avast when all our Norton subscriptions run out.  The first computer did just that and now we are having problems with Avast.  The computer is running IE7, Windows XP and downloaded Avast 4.8 professional.  I understand the person Dowloaded Avast, Installed Avast and then Uninistalled Norton.  He can not print emails and certain web pages he can not access (it gives just a blank white page).  I've tried disabling Avast and the problem persists.  I read some of the message forums about using the Norton removal program - however I can't download it.  I click the link and nothing. Any ideas?

Sue

onlysomeone

Re: Email printing/web page problems
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »
well, norton is a little bit of annoying to uninstall!

heres a link to the removal tool:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Norton_Removal_Tool_for_Windows_2000XPVista/1169144666/1
(link by Tech)
Copy the link to your browser or just click it and download the file from there...

then reinstall avast! or repair your installation...

then everything should work!

post back if anything goes wrong/you have more questions

yours
onlysomeone

susandaly

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
I used the Norton removal that you linked to, ran it and then ran the repair of Avast but it was a no go.  This is probably a stupid question, but should I install the avast on the computer before trying to reinstall.  I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I don't want to muck up any waters.

Sue

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »
should I install the avast on the computer before trying to reinstall
To reinstall what?
The best things in life are free.

susandaly

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 04:53:33 PM »
To try to reinstall avast

Sue

susandaly

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
Ugh - I see the confustion.  I meant ot ask should I UNinstall the avast and then reinstall Avast.
Sorry - not enough coffee yet this morning.

Sue

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 05:12:56 PM »
A clean reinstall would probably be best as the presence of another AV could cause the installation to be incomplete.

Id you didn't save the avast installation file - Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot. If step 1 didn't work you will need to run the uninstall utility from Safe Mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

susandaly

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »
Well I did everything you suggested and I'm still having the same problems.  Any other suggestions. 

Sue

olddog

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 03:14:08 AM »
 susandaly,

Is the printing done on a local printer or a network printer?

Does the computer in question have a software firewall and if so have the necessary firewall permissions been set up for avast?

susandaly

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
The printer is on a network printer. There is no problem printing from other programs (microsoft word), it just appears to be printing of emal.

There is no other firewall software, with the exception of the microsoft.  I disabled the firewall to test if that was the problem, but again, no email printing and no access to certain web sites.

Sue

olddog

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 04:26:36 PM »
Sue,

Are you trying to print the emails from Outlook Express, from some other email client, or from Internet Explorer (i.e. webmail)? I am tempted to suggest seeing whether the same problem still exists if Avast is completely un-installed but would prefer this not being done on line for obvious reasons.

What error (or any) message do you get when you try to print the email and can you perhaps post the URL of one of the web sites you are not able to access?

susandaly

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 05:29:31 PM »
I'm trying to print from Outlook (not Outlook Express).  When I hit the print button - nothing happens - no error messages - nothing.  If the email has an attachment, the attachment opens and the attachment can be printed - just not the email.

I hadn't tried any web based email account so I just tried Yahoo and Google.  The Yahoo interface was completely different than anything I had seen before.  It would let me open the email but would not let me print.

The Google interface looked normal - I could see my email folders and the messages in the folder, but it would not let me open the individual emails.

One of the URL I have been trying to access is: http://www.masslandrecords.com/malr/index.htm.  I was also told that someone was able to get to Google (Google news etc.) but was not able to call up a Google map.

Sue

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »
No problem connecting to that site, firefox 3.0.1.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

olddog

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 05:39:48 PM »
Sue,

I am not convinced that your problem is actually caused by Avast but perhaps by something resulting from the removal of the Norton software.

Just on the off chance - Can you open IE7, click on tools/internet options/Security. If the "reset all zones to default level" is NOT greyed out, click on it to reset all of the zones back to the default settings and see whether that makes any difference to your problem.

If that doesn't work, the only suggestion I can make at the moment is to go into Outlook, find an existing email that you can't print using the network printer and see if you can print it to a local printer. As a last resort, if you haven't kept a copy of the avast install file, download one, then uninstall Avast, reboot and repeat the print test in Outlook - you should be able to do this without going on line.

If the fault is still present when avast has been completely removed, then it would confirm that we should be looking else where. If it isn't, then reinstall Avast and some more head scratching will have to take place.

And finally one other question - is the office network one where all of the computers and the network printer are connected to the LAN ports of a router that has its WAN port connected to a broadband modem, or is the router connected to a dedicated server? 

susandaly

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding - I had yesterday off from work :)

I reset the the zones on IE7.  It was not greyed out.  Yet still nothing.

I unistalled Avast tried printing an email - nothing.

The office network is connected to LAN ports and not a dedicated server.

I hope we can figure this out - my boss is not exactly happy with me - I was the one to recommend the Avast (I use it on my home computer and it works great).

Sue