Author Topic: NAV 2005 / AVG Trial Absolute Removal  (Read 8931 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
NAV 2005 / AVG Trial Absolute Removal
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:27:55 PM »
I was originally helping out this poster on an AOL Board with her AOL problems.  But, in later posts, it came out that she had just removed NAV 2005 around the timeframe that the AOL problems began.  She then installed the Trial version of AVG.

So, I started trying to address her AV situation and HOW she "got rid" of NAV 2005 before installing the AVG.  I thought maybe she hadn't used the Norton AV Uninstaller after the Control Panel bit.  She later told me she HAD used the Norton Removal Tool from the website.

(1)  Is it OK if she ONLY used the Norton Removal Tool ... or should she have first done the Control Panel sequence?

(2)  After using the Norton Removal Tool, is there any way to check to see whether there are still NAV 2005 remnants lingering in the walls?

(3)  What's the absolute proper way to remove AVG?

(4)  Do I understand correctly ... some of you all here even recommended using the Anti-Vir Removal Tool AFTER using Norton and AVG Removal Tools?  If so, can you please post up the Anti-Vir Removal Tool.

I'll Bookmark this Anti-Vir ... Norton ... and AVG Removal Tools in my Opera Computer Apps Folder.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

gdiloren

Re: NAV 2005 / AVG Trial Absolute Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:17:18 AM »
Try this:http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36425.0 for Norton
and this:http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=217080 there is a link there for Grisoft uninstall tool for AVG but it seems that simply by add remove program is enough. Don't know, I never had AVG on this pc. :D

wyrmrider

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:48:56 AM »

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallantivir.shtml

bottom half of the page
have your fresh copy of avst downloaded already

also links for remove norton and avg at bottom of page
with avg you need to Download the latest installer and us IT to remove
post back if it finds something that Norton removal tool missed

gdiloren

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »
There is an uninstall utility for AVG:http://www.grisoft.cz/filedir/util/a...avgremover.exe   :o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 05:20:08 PM »
Your URL won't work as it is a shortened screen view of it and not the underlying full URL.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 05:31:15 PM »
http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools

new in July

AVG Remover

AVG Remover utility removes all parts of AVG installation on your computer, including registry items, installation and user files on your disk, etc. AVG Remover is the least option to be used in case the AVG uninstallation / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

Warning:
All AVG user settings will be removed after the uninstallation, as well as the Virus Vault content and other item related to AVG installation and use. During the removal procedure you will be asked to restart your computer. Therefore please make sure to finish your work and to save all important data prior to AVG Remover launch.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:53:16 PM »
Thanks, gdiloren ... wyrmrider.  :)
I Bookmarked the Anti-Vir and AVG Uninstaller links.
I will be relaying the Info to that AOL Poster.

Question:  There are 2 AVG Removers.  One 32-Bit and the other 64-Bit.  How can that poster find out which she has?  She has Windows XP.  Or is 64-Bit only for Vista?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Spiritsongs

Avira/AntiVir "Removal tools"
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »
 :)  Hi :

When it comes to "what" to use to COMPLETELY REMOVE Avira/AntiVir, I
 feel the Info provided on the Avira Support Forums is superior to the PC Hell
 Site ( the latter only mentions the "RegistryCleaner" ) ; see :
 www.avira.com/en/support/av7_upgrade_tools.html . You will notice the
 Avira Site also recommends One of 2 different "Uninstallation Package(s)" .

wyrmrider

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:34:35 AM »
spiritsongs
they do NOT have Antivir installed- they have AVG
and they had Norton and still have some fragments

If they had antivir then you would be even more correct
thanks for bringing the two OS dependent removers to my attention again
I removed antivir on a computer a while ago and had forgotton that detail

THE antivir registry tool works to help remove any antivir

Also thanks to all who posted on the AVG tool- something else to remember

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:27:35 AM »

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallantivir.shtml

bottom half of the page
have your fresh copy of avst downloaded already

also links for remove norton and avg at bottom of page
with avg you need to Download the latest installer and us IT to remove
post back if it finds something that Norton removal tool missed

At first the poster was leaning towards that she did NOT still have NAV 2005 remnants still lingering because supposedly she had used some Norton Removal Tool or somehow officially uninstalled it.  But, I got an E-mail from her a while ago confirming that she DID indeed find Norton Files / Folders.

So, so far I told her to first verify if the Control Panel - Add / Remove Programs area reveals any traces of Symantec there.  If not, to go verify if in the Start - All Programs ... to see if any Symantec traces are there.  And then to download and run the Norton Removal Tool at the bottom of that PCHELL link.

NOW ........ here is where I need to make certain of some things.
Okay, say after she runs the Norton Removal Tool and there are STILL NAV remnants lingering ... are you saying THEN she should run the Antivir Registry Cleaner?  Is that Antivir Registry Cleaner pretty automatic or would she actually have to SELECT Stuff to delete?  And you ARE saying this Antivir Registry Cleaner DOES also work for getting rid of Norton, right?  She doesn't feel comfortable at all messing in the Registry if SHE has to actually make decisions on manual selections of what to delete.

I'm trying to get her to uninstall both the Norton remnants AND AVG ... and to install avast!.  But, ultimately it'll be her call.  I'm also trying to convince her to come and register here so that she can get more direct assistance.

By the way, I apologize for what appears that this topic should really have been on the General Topics Forum.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »
The lady whom I was helping found this on the Net:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_remove_norton_from_pc.html

Can y'all take a look at it and see if it looks like pretty solid advice if done to the letter?  Especially the Registry steps as she's REALLY leery of making changes in there.

wyrmrider

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »
the antivir registry cleaner is reasonably automatic
especially compared to hand cleaning the registry

I am not surprised that she found Norton leftovers, fragments, polution

use both the Norton and AVG removers then run Antivir reg cleaner

she could look at the registry links mentioned but I am not going to suggest hand registry cleaning till she reports what she finds using the guide mentioned
especially with two levels of redirection involved
It does appear that you are over the hump
just execute

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 10:19:09 PM »
If it helps... ::)
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.
The best things in life are free.

gdiloren

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 10:23:20 PM »
By the way, I still have this d***n entry about AVG antispyware 7.5 outdated I just can't get rid off in my Windows Vista Security Center :( and I even tried their uninstaller without success :o . I guess I'll have to live with it!!! :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 10:28:35 PM »
By the way, I still have this d***n entry about AVG antispyware 7.5 outdated I just can't get rid off in my Windows Vista Security Center :( and I even tried their uninstaller without success :o . I guess I'll have to live with it!!! :P
Use autoruns as an administrator and delete any driver left behind...
After that, renew your Security Center...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm
The best things in life are free.