Author Topic: where are suspect email attachments put?  (Read 2873 times)

travelkit

where are suspect email attachments put?
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:20:21 AM »
I haven't been using Avast very long.

Today as my email was coming in there was a suspicious message warning re a .bat file attached to a message. I opted to continue as I do receive bat files from the source from time to time.
However there is no sign of this message or the attachment in my email nor in Avast's Chest.

A few days ago Avast stripped a message from an email - again where did it go? Is it recoverable as I suspect it was a false positive as the sender usually only sends plain text emails.

These incidents do not appear in the Log which only seems to log program events - is there a log of warnings?

Thanks for any help.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: where are suspect email attachments put?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »
Please see this thread it applies to both email messages and attachments:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=32585.msg272507#msg272507

travelkit

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:21:50 AM »
Well I read that thread and I'm not impressed.

An attachment shouldn't just disappear when you haven't asked for it to be deleted.

And the events should be logged. I wouldn't have thought that was impossible.

I'll adjust the heuristic options but if it happens again, I'll be returning to AVG or looking for another virus checker.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:58:13 AM »
Your choice, but AVG (or any other product) can no more obey the realities of the lack of standards when dealing with email attachments than can avast.
You may well not be impressed ... but what you are unimpressed by is the plain and simple fact that the world does not support the independent existence of emails or their attachments unless they are within the myriad of databases belonging to all of the email clients in existence and for which there is no standard.

avast will not delete any email attachment you tell it not to so be careful of the choices you make.

At least with avast you get this relaxed and informative forum ... try getting anything like this level of friendly help in the AVG forum. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:05:18 AM by alanrf »

travelkit

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:48:14 PM »
Well the virus warning message about the attachment had a Delete and a Continue button.

I clicked the Continue button.

The attachment is no where to be found so in my experience, you are incorrect. Avast deleted it even though I said not to and didn't have the courtesy to put what was an attached file into its quarantine since I had chosen not to delete it. since it is possible for other programs to save email attachments independently, it is obviously possible for Avast to do this.

Friendly help on this forum? Well you did redirect me to a related issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 04:36:09 AM »
travelkit, you're not being fair with the forum help... it's faster and more reliable than AVG.
I'm an ex-AVG user.
Which is your email program?
If you click continue button, the attachment file should be there ???
But if even Alanrf can't guess what's wrong, I won't be able too...
Are you sure it's not into avast Chest?
The best things in life are free.