Author Topic: "Local disks" and "Folders"  (Read 3960 times)

XINLAI-A

"Local disks" and "Folders"
« on: August 31, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
Hi, Tech,

When we choose the place to scan, there's three choices, they are:"Local disks", "Folders" and "Removable Media".  I have a question about "Local disks" and "Folders",  What is the difference between them?

By my understanding, "Local disks"  refers to our system disk, right? (Mine is Local disk C)  But then I can also choose the local disk C in the "Folders", since "Folders" already inclueds local disk C, I think Avast only needs the other two choices "Folders" and "Removable Media". Unless there is a difference between "Local disks" and "Folders".  What is your opinion?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: "Local disks" and "Folders"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:46:12 PM »
Local disks means all disk partitions of your computer C: D: E: and so on...
Folders are inside of a partition. If you select all folders (including the root) you'll scan all the partition. If you scan all the partitions you'll scan all local disks.
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »
Should add one other point of difference, which is more specific to avast than to your computer.

Your "last scan" (or however it's worded) on the Status screen will only update correctly if you select local disks for the scan.  Folders won't do that, even if you tick off entire drive(s).

Or at least that used to be the case, possibly been changed in recent versions and I overlooked it.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

XINLAI-A

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 03:49:27 AM »
Local disks means all disk partitions of your computer C: D: E: and so on...
Folders are inside of a partition. If you select all folders (including the root) you'll scan all the partition. If you scan all the partitions you'll scan all local disks.

Hi, Tech,

Thanks for your reply.

So I think it is better for us to do a through scan (with achives) monthly on the "Local disks" than "Folders", right?  Because it includes all the partitions. Is that what you meant?

:)

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 03:54:35 AM »
You really only need to do through scan if you suspect something is on your computer. For a monthly scan, I would suggest a Standard scan W/O Archives checked. (Much faster scan)
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
So I think it is better for us to do a through scan (with achives) monthly on the "Local disks" than "Folders", right?  Because it includes all the partitions. Is that what you meant?
Exactly.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »

Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned. Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.

I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

XINLAI-A

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 03:05:45 AM »
Exactly.

;D ;D  Thanks again, Tech and David R.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
No problem, glad I could help to clarify.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security