Author Topic: Setiface error in log?  (Read 3724 times)

sanctuaryforever

Setiface error in log?
« on: September 06, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »
Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000001, dwRes is 00000001. 

It seems to happen extremely rarely, I'm wondering whether its something to do with shutting down the computer while an update is in progress or something as it coincides with the times I turn my computer off, if anyone knows exactly what it means I would be grateful

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Setiface error in log?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »
I don't know for sure...
But if your manual and automatic updates are working, I won't worry that much... seems verbose of the logs.
The best things in life are free.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »
I will see if it appears again but it must be something like an update starts to run during shutdown or something freaky like that, seems unlikely but thats the only thing I can think of seeing as other people who use the computer dont take notice of when an update is in progress.  If anyone else knows what it means please let me know

perhaps in future versions of Avast you could enable an optional update progress bar that appears in the corner of the screen to show its working

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »
Automatic updates runs at silent mode (as I think they should).
For manual updates you can configure the progress bar, etc.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
Automatic updates runs at silent mode (as I think they should).
For manual updates you can configure the progress bar, etc.

What I mean is perhaps an option to make a small progress bar appear in the bottom right corner even for automatic updates so less aware users can visibly see it updating so they know not to shutdown at that specific time.  I know you can have an update icon appear but sometimes they dont take notice
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:57:02 PM by sanctuaryforever »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:43:24 AM »
Strangely enough we get more questions, lots, about how to disable 'the annoying pop-up' (their words) notification after an auto update, than we do for more visibility on the auto update ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 12:56:21 PM »
Strangely enough we get more questions, lots, about how to disable 'the annoying pop-up' (their words) notification after an auto update, than we do for more visibility on the auto update ;D

I just thought it would be nice to tailor the visibility of the update via a few options, that way people can have it invisible or clearly displayed

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »
I just thought it would be nice to tailor the visibility of the update via a few options, that way people can have it invisible or clearly displayed
This works for the manual update. They have chosen to not offer this configurability for the automatic one, that runs in silent mode all the times.