Author Topic: How to disbale boot time scanning?  (Read 5541 times)

tek_01

How to disbale boot time scanning?
« on: April 13, 2004, 09:53:40 AM »
Hey this is my first post so take it easy on me ;)

ive tried searching but cant find an answer, all i want to do is turn off the boot time scanning (i ticked it when i was installing the product)

It takes a fair while to scan and i dont really want that everytime i reboot

thanks in advance

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:How to disbale boot time scanning?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 10:14:39 AM »
The boot time scan should be performed only once, not repeatedly. Do you use the latest version (4.1.357) ? Could you please send me the file Avast4\DATA\log\aswBoot.log by mail ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 10:16:26 AM »
What was the avast! build you installed? Was it the current build (357) or did you install it before?

To remove the boot-time scan, open regedit, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
and check the value BootExecute.
Delete all the references to aswBoot.exe (usually, there is just autocheck autochk * left there).

tek_01

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 01:37:34 PM »
It is build 4.1.357,
i want to disable completely any boot up scanning
you can do that cant you? because when i was installing it, it asked me to scan automatically before boot process

is that the information you needed? if not let me know if you need that file to be sent to you

thanks

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 01:45:15 PM »
hi tek..

what igor mean is that you will need to edit your registry..

go to the windows start menu...run...

type in regedit...

and a window will pop up....explore to the path which igor mentioned and follow his instructions

tek_01

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 06:56:18 AM »
Ok i doubleclicked on the BootExecute and a window popped up with  

'autocheck autochk *'

thats all thats in there, should i delete those words or the whole BootExecute ?

I couldnt clearly understand Igors instructions and i dont want to mess around too much with the Registry as i know pretty much nothin about it

thanks once again =)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 09:27:25 AM »
That is what should be there. However, it's possible that something else is hiding ("invisibly") afterwards. Try to make sure the value is really like this (e.g. delete the content completely, confirm, then open and change it to autocheck autochk *).

If possible, you can export the value of BootExecute into a file using File->Export option (before you make the changes, of course) and paste the content here (it will be a list of numbers) - so that we can see what's wrong there. Note that exporting the value will actually export the whole Session Manager key - i.e. the file may be quite big. It should be easy to find the BootExecute value inside, however.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 12:03:03 PM »
Are you guys talking about the same thing?
tek_01, what do you call 'boot-time scanning', exactly?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

tek_01

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 02:12:55 PM »
i call boot time scanning, before windows loads up, this blue DOS looking screen comes up and scans my whole hard drive (i can press escape to cancel the process)

i assume we are looking at the same thing

it is not a scheduled boot scan that you can set in the options (the scan all folders is selected in that option, but theres no option to say disable scan)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 03:22:14 AM »
i call boot time scanning, before windows loads up, this blue DOS looking screen comes up and scans my whole hard drive (i can press escape to cancel the process)

i assume we are looking at the same thing

it is not a scheduled boot scan that you can set in the options (the scan all folders is selected in that option, but theres no option to say disable scan)

I'm not sure I understand you, tek, but seems that you're touching an avast known bug... Can you wait for the new update (few days more)? Am I wrong, Vlk? I read this in some other recent forums  ::)
The best things in life are free.