Author Topic: avastgui problems finding libestmp.so.5  (Read 6804 times)

acreda

avastgui problems finding libestmp.so.5
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »
Hi All,

i am currently putting linux on my father-in-law's computer after having xp and dispite what i keep telling him he still wants to see a scheduled virus scan just like windows, so rather than use crontab to lauch the shell command for avast i am trying to use the quick scan feature of the gui which will give a show him a limited amount of info he wants and will not require any interaction unless a virus is found.

When i have been trying to run the file with the full path it comes up with this error:-

/usr/lib/avast4workstation/bin/avastgui: error while loading shared libraries: libesmtp.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

can anyone explain why as this seems to be in a sub directory?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avastgui problems finding libestmp.so.5
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:32:45 PM »
I suppose it requires elevation (root access)... maybe I'm wrong.
But avast for Linux hasn't a scheduler, so I think you'll have to use cron to do it... I use Kubuntu but I'm not an expert on Linux, on contrary.
The best things in life are free.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:18:30 PM »
Hi All,

i am currently putting linux on my father-in-law's computer after having xp and dispite what i keep telling him he still wants to see a scheduled virus scan just like windows, so rather than use crontab to lauch the shell command for avast i am trying to use the quick scan feature of the gui which will give a show him a limited amount of info he wants and will not require any interaction unless a virus is found.

When i have been trying to run the file with the full path it comes up with this error:-

/usr/lib/avast4workstation/bin/avastgui: error while loading shared libraries: libesmtp.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

can anyone explain why as this seems to be in a sub directory?

Thanks

Hallo,

the libesmtp library is packed in the package anyway, and avastgui always tries to use it when no system-global esmtp library is found. but, it's DIFFERENT avastgui - not the full-of-dependencies-binary-itself , but a thin wrapper script which takes care about the dependencies of the main binary first, and then runs it in appropriate way.

thus, result -> you are running wrong file -> run /usr/bin/avastgui instead
(or, set the propr environment for dynamic loader, example:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/avast4workstation/lib-esmtp /usr/lib/avast4workstation/bin/avastgui
)

regards,
pc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:25:31 PM by zilog »
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

acreda

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:47:04 AM »
 :) thanks a buntch, it is now calling the right libraries - althought i took me a few days to realise that i needed to specifiy the X display so it now looks like this:-

DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/avastgui --scan-dir=/

works like a charm.  Now for another post.....