Author Topic: auto updates  (Read 6086 times)

acreda

auto updates
« on: September 28, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Hi Everyone,

just for my information, once automatic updates have been specified in avastgui, whats the sort of min to max time the program will poll the update server so i know what best intivals to set automated scans so the program will be more or less up to date

Thanks

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: auto updates
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:50:58 AM »
Hi Everyone,

just for my information, once automatic updates have been specified in avastgui, whats the sort of min to max time the program will poll the update server so i know what best intivals to set automated scans so the program will be more or less up to date

Thanks
Hallo,
for me it seems that the automatic update is triggered right after the gui starts only. Thus, automatic means "check for new database on gui's startup instead of manual clicking". Correct me if i'm wrong...

regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

acreda

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:58 PM »
 so then, i assume there is no way to issue a terminal command to update the program before a schedued run, i can see it form the help text.... ???

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »
so then, i assume there is no way to issue a terminal command to update the program before a schedued run, i can see it form the help text.... ???

hmm, nope - there are always more ways how to change the database. install the libavastengine package, and your workstation version will automatically obey its auto-updates - even if it runs a scan at that moment.

in a nutshell, cron spawns regularly (6hrs by default) the update script (avastvpsupdate.xx), which checks /etc/avastvpsupdate.conf for details, then the script downloads (using wget/lynx/whatever) new 400.vps (if available), and finally, spawns avastvpsreload.

just install the package, and this functionality will be ON after right after installation. only, if you used avast4workstation before, also get rid of your local 400.vps in your home directory (and maybe change the .config in your home directory file too) - then, avast4workstation will start using the global system-wide vps, managed by cron, with updates fully "in background".

regards,pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)