Author Topic: Is there a non-audible warning when a virus is found?  (Read 3192 times)

tonysin

Is there a non-audible warning when a virus is found?
« on: September 28, 2008, 09:56:43 PM »
Hi, I just installed Avast, and I was poking around its folders, and I saw a lot of sound files.  I played them, and there were things like sirens and horns, and voices saying a virus was found, etc.

Well, that's all fine, but I usually have my speakers turned off, because they draw quite a bit of power when they are on, whether I'm using them or not.  I only turn them on when I am playing a file that needs them.

So my question is, besides playing sound files, does Avast pop up a window, or beep the PC speaker (i.e. the case speaker, as opposed to the sound card speakers)?  In other words, will it be immediately obvious that it's found something even if my speakers are off?

Thanks.

YoKenny

Re: Is there a non-audible warning when a virus is found?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »
Hi, I just installed Avast, and I was poking around its folders, and I saw a lot of sound files.  I played them, and there were things like sirens and horns, and voices saying a virus was found, etc.

Well, that's all fine, but I usually have my speakers turned off, because they draw quite a bit of power when they are on, whether I'm using them or not.  I only turn them on when I am playing a file that needs them.

So my question is, besides playing sound files, does Avast pop up a window, or beep the PC speaker (i.e. the case speaker, as opposed to the sound card speakers)?  In other words, will it be immediately obvious that it's found something even if my speakers are off?

Thanks.
You must have awful powerful speakers as mine consume barely 1 watt?

Avast does a pop up when updating but it disappears quite quickly.

It sure pops up a prominent visible alert when something is found.

tonysin

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:35:25 PM »

>You must have awful powerful speakers as mine consume barely 1 watt?

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I was dumb enough to buy a big Logitech 7.1 system a few years ago.  I read a ton of reviews, and they all just raved about how great they were.  I think they suck.  The subwoofer is completely useless - I have to keep it turned as low as it will go, or it BOOMS even during spoken dialogue with no music at all, but it controls the other speakers so I have a 50-pound doorstop cluttering up my floor.  Anyway, I got one of those Kill-a-watt power meters, and found that the speakers pull 30 watts whenever they are on, and a couple even when they are off.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:36:43 PM »
Click on this test file link, it is a signature that is detected as the eicar test file so it triggers the AVs detection response, so that you know your AV is set-up and working.

Web Shield Test - http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

See http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm for more tests.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tonysin

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:17:05 AM »
Thanks, will do.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 01:26:20 AM »
You're welcome, you will see that avast isn't just an audible alert.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security