Author Topic: VRDB generation never ends  (Read 2924 times)

q00u

VRDB generation never ends
« on: September 30, 2008, 12:30:03 AM »
I have a windows box that shares the disk with a linux partition.  I also have an add-on for windows that gives me access to the linux files.

The problem is that links on the linux partition create infinitely recursive directories.

Now, I've added the entire linux partition to the exclusions list, which (it says) affects all parts of avast except for the resident protection.  HOWEVER, when I run VRDB generation, it STILL goes to that drive and gets stuck in infinite loops.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than disabling access to the linux partition (which is not going to happen; I'll switch AV solutions first)?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VRDB generation never ends
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:42:25 AM »
Nowadays, running VRDB is not a must have...
I never heard that there a way to exclude files/folders/disks from the VRDB, so... If I were you, I'll keep avast even disabling the VRDB generation.
The best things in life are free.

q00u

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 12:35:05 AM »
If the only option is to disable VRDB, why would I need to stay with Avast?  The REASON I switched TO Avast was for the VRDB.  It's the difference between being able to recover an infected file and just deleting it.

That's a HUGE difference.  And you're saying it's not a "must have"?  Then, Avast is not a must have either.

Additionally, if Avast has this problem, then what other problems might it have?

It can't handle infinite recursion on ext2/3 partitions, and does not fail gracefully (it will actually crash and kill the entire av protection).  Can it handle infinite recursion on ntfs partitions (via hardlinks?).  Probably not, given the evidence.  All a virus would have to do is create recursive hardlinks before and after itself, and voila, protected from Avast.  That's not the security I'm looking for.

In addition, the exclusions list claims to affect "all parts of avast except for the resident protection".  This is demonstrably false.  Since this claim is false, what other claims might also be false?

This is a massive bug (more massive due to the fact that it would be easily fixable in a number of different ways {limit the number of directories deep it goes, respect the exclusions list, fail more gracefully, monitor resources so it doesn't fail in the first place, etc} ANY of which would have solved it).

As a result, I cannot trust Avast in its current state.  The only advice I get is "disable VRDB"?  Why stop there?

(I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just frustrated that I'm being prevented from using an otherwise good product by this stupid deal-breaking easily-fixable bug)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 01:03:42 AM »
If the only option is to disable VRDB, why would I need to stay with Avast?  The REASON I switched TO Avast was for the VRDB.  It's the difference between being able to recover an infected file and just deleting it.
It stores the necessary info to restore executables (*.exe, *.com) files.
VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files).
Besides, only Win32 executables are processed.

That's a HUGE difference.  And you're saying it's not a "must have"?  Then, Avast is not a must have either.
Even this, only a few infections could be recovered by this way. It's not a panaceia, neither other antivirus offer a panaceia.

That's not the security I'm looking for.
VRDB is an avast exclusivity, if you change the antivirus, you won't find another. This is the protection we can achieve. Believe me, VRDB is not a must have nowadays. It could help in very little situations.

In addition, the exclusions list claims to affect "all parts of avast except for the resident protection".  This is demonstrably false.  Since this claim is false, what other claims might also be false?
VRDB is not a provider, a resident part of avast. It's a feature. I've translated the English help file and I always understood that 'all parts of avast' are related to all providers (modules).

This is a massive bug (more massive due to the fact that it would be easily fixable in a number of different ways {limit the number of directories deep it goes, respect the exclusions list, fail more gracefully, monitor resources so it doesn't fail in the first place, etc} ANY of which would have solved it).
Maybe there is a solution, just that I don't know. I'm an user like you. I don't think this is a bug. Something is wrong with mounted Linux partitions while detected by Windows. Maybe a problem with the file system driver.

As a result, I cannot trust Avast in its current state.  The only advice I get is "disable VRDB"?  Why stop there?

(I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just frustrated that I'm being prevented from using an otherwise good product by this stupid deal-breaking easily-fixable bug)
You don't need to be frustrated... I've tried...
The best things in life are free.