Author Topic: Safe Mode  (Read 7277 times)

qim

Safe Mode
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:36:13 AM »
I am unable to start a scan in Safe Mode with the Free Programme.  The box that I chose and start what to scan does not come up even if it seems tt show the task bar.  Is this normal?

That you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:31:03 PM »
No, avast can scan at Safe Mode.
Do you have any other antivirus installed in this machine?
Why are you trying to scan in Safe Mode? Is your computer infected?
Can't you scan a boot time scanning with avast?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 04:12:12 PM »
avast doesn't start by default in safe mode, so you need to click on the desktop icon (or directly using this file ashAvast.exe in the avast4 foloder) to start the necessary processes and the memory scan and simple user interface should start.

Is this the way you were trying to start the scan ?

What is your OS ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

qim

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:17:07 PM »
Well, my problem is that yesterday while surfing Avast came up with a box about a Virus.  I reacted so fast thatI closed the box before finding out what it was and whether I was being prompted to delete something.  Now I am not ure if I actually allowed the virus to come in by not doing anything at the time.  I have scannd several times with various programmes, including twice with Avast.  usually I scan in safe Mode but with Avast when I go into Start/Programmes /AvastAntiV/AvastAntiV something opens on the task Bar but that is IT.  Only on the task bar and the box for the scan never appears.

Incidentaly, of all the scans that I did only Panda came up with Bck/Bandok. AY which Avast just before did not detect.

Any ideas apreciated.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 04:25:41 PM »
You don't have to use Safe Mode to scan with avast.
You can do within Windows or use avast boot scanning.

qim

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:02:10 PM »
Hi Tech

What's (how) Avast Boot scanning?  But, anyway what I wanted to know is whether the factthat I could not get Avast to work in Safe Mode is normal, or whether it could be due to a virus interfering.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 05:03:43 PM »
Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning.
Select for scanning archives.
Boot.
If infected files are found, it's safer to send them to Chest instead of deleting them.
This way you can further analysis them.

See also: http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php

qim

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »
Thank you Tech

I got it!

Now, one more really important question: how does Avast deal with a Virus when the user does not respond to the warning? Yesterday, when I closed the warning box, would Avast go ahead and get rid of the virus?  Probably, it had done so already, or not?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 07:00:46 PM »
It entirely depends on what alert is displayed.

Web Shield, Standard Shield or Email scanner.
So which was it ?

Whatever happens the one common thing it it won't let it run.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

qim

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 07:15:02 PM »
That's my problem.  I expect There might have been an 'abort connection' button which I necer saw and never pressed.  Does that mean the virus continued to load?  And how come that Avast can't find it now?

Thanks for your help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »
how does Avast deal with a Virus when the user does not respond to the warning?
Nothing. The file will be there but wouldn't be executed (i.e., the virus won't be activated).

qim

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 07:24:42 PM »
Thank Tech, but why? (Porquê)

Why should it not activate if it has been downloaded.  Coudl you explain, please? I'm worried.

Obrigado|

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 07:27:53 PM »
Why should it not activate if it has been downloaded.  Coudl you explain, please? I'm worried.
Well, it's not that complicated. A file could be in your computer and if it's not double clicked (if it is not opened, if it is not started or executed), it will stay there, inert, causing no harm at all. With the on-demand scanning you can find it and send it to Chest (quarantine). IF anything tryes to start it and execute it, the on-access (resident) antivirus will block the execution and, consequently, the infection.

qim

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »
Great, thanks.

Now, how can I do the on-demand scanning?

Thank you for everythng.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »
Now, how can I do the on-demand scanning?
Can you start avast antivirus? (by right clicking the icon on system tray or running ashSimpl.exe)