Author Topic: avast! Linux Home Edition updates will not download  (Read 13022 times)

FastMady123

avast! Linux Home Edition updates will not download
« on: October 18, 2008, 01:17:08 AM »
I have a problem updating the virus database of avast! on my system. When, I launch avast, I see "Checking for Updates" and I get no updates. I set avast to update when I start the software.  I'm using Ubuntu Linux 8.04 as my operating system. The avast version is 1.0.8.  I just updated my kernel and is that the cause? I didn't see the antivirus update since 10/15/08. I have the firewall on but I think that is not the case. I just state that I updated the kernel. What should I do to fix this problem? Should I reinstall avast!?

ChuTw

Re: avast! Linux Home Edition updates will not download
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:21:21 AM »
Hello ...

I think a few other people ... besides you and I ... are having the very same problem.  Please refer to the following:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39393.0

I am also using Ubuntu Release 8.04 and avast! Anti-virus Version 1.0.8.  My last Virus Database update is 81015-0 (15 October 2008).  Since installing the latest Ubuntu release (8.04) when it was released in April, I have made numerous updates ... including at least three kernel updates ... as they became available from Ubuntu's Update Manager but that had never prevented me from getting my avast! Virus Database updated.  Also, I had un-install avast! Anti-virus ... removing all traces of it ... and reinstalling it again but Virus Database is still not updating.

We will appreciate any solution(s) that may resolve this problem.

Justin

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:47:54 PM »
Hello ...

I think a few other people ... besides you and I ... are having the very same problem.  Please refer to the following:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39393.0

I am also using Ubuntu Release 8.04 and avast! Anti-virus Version 1.0.8.  My last Virus Database update is 81015-0 (15 October 2008).  Since installing the latest Ubuntu release (8.04) when it was released in April, I have made numerous updates ... including at least three kernel updates ... as they became available from Ubuntu's Update Manager but that had never prevented me from getting my avast! Virus Database updated.  Also, I had un-install avast! Anti-virus ... removing all traces of it ... and reinstalling it again but Virus Database is still not updating.

We will appreciate any solution(s) that may resolve this problem.

Justin

Hallo,
just wait for the next release, the problem is not at your side.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

ChuTw

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:46:47 AM »
Hallo,

regards,
pc

Hello Zilog ...

Do you mean that a new release of avast! Anti-virus will soon be available?  Please advise when we can expect this new release?  Also, when this new release is available, do we need to completely uninstall our current avast! Anti-virus ( 1.0.8 ) and reinstall the new release?

Regards,
Justin

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »
Hallo,

regards,
pc

Hello Zilog ...

Do you mean that a new release of avast! Anti-virus will soon be available?  Please advise when we can expect this new release?  Also, when this new release is available, do we need to completely uninstall our current avast! Anti-virus ( 1.0.8 ) and reinstall the new release?

Regards,
Justin

Next vps-release was meant, thus, just wait when the next fresh 400.vps will be available. There's no need to reinstall the software (problem is at our servers).

regards,
pc

ps: but yes, next release will come out with improved engine :).
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

ChuTw

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »
Next vps-release was meant, thus, just wait when the next fresh 400.vps will be available. There's no need to reinstall the software (problem is at our servers).

regards,
pc

ps: but yes, next release will come out with improved engine :).

Hello Zilog ...

Apparently, the servers are not fixed.  I was able to update my Virus Database this morning.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Justin