Author Topic: prblm dwnldng Avast error msg program cannot download iNews(C:\Program Files\Alw  (Read 7380 times)

mountaingirl

Problem downloading and running Avast.  Error msg = Program cannot load iNews(C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\iNews.htm) 

ardvark

Hi...

What operating system are you using and were you able to completely install avast to your hard drive? If yes, try performing a repair installation and see if that will fix it. If you're using Windows XP, go to the Control Panel and then click on "Add/Remove Programs." Click on avast and choose the repair option from the bottom of the menu on the left hand side. For Windows Vista Home Premium, the procedure is the same except that "Add/Remove Programs" has been renamed to "Programs and Features."

Hope this helps... :)

Best Regards...

mountaingirl

Oh boy you must like to help newbies, what are you in for here???  I am using xp, have not been able to update to sp3, that's another problem.  Avast does not show up on the list of programs, but there is a thing in the sys tray for it.

YoKenny

avast should show up in Taskmanager

It is all the asw and ash tasks.

ardvark

I am using xp, have not been able to update to sp3, that's another problem.  Avast does not show up on the list of programs, but there is a thing in the sys tray for it.

There is no listing for avast under "Add/Remove Programs?" ??? Is there a listing for it under the "All Programs" list in the Start Menu? If so, is there an uninstall option? Also, what message to you get when you try to update to SP3?

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:19:20 AM by ardvark »

mountaingirl

No listing in task manager.  No listing in all programs. I think it expired when I failed to renew it after one year.  Something is keeping me from downloading it again.  Can't remember the error msg on sp3 but when my husband gets home I'll ask him if he remembers.

Spiritsongs

:)  Hi :

What are the Names of the security programs that are on this computer ?
 Please be SPECIFIC .

ardvark

No listing in task manager.  No listing in all programs. I think it expired when I failed to renew it after one year.  Something is keeping me from downloading it again.  Can't remember the error msg on sp3 but when my husband gets home I'll ask him if he remembers.

Hi...

Avast wouldn't have uninstalled or removed links to itself upon expiring, no, your problem on the surface smells suspiciously like malware infection. :(

Along with what Spiritsongs has requested, you might want to perform an online scan at one of these sites (as an example, there are others...)

http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

In addition, I also recommend a regimen created by Tech, a fellow member of this forum. Go to this thread and read the last post...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39312.msg330023#msg330023

Hope this helps...

Best Regards...