Author Topic: JAPAN - JAPANESE SKIN  (Read 14103 times)

S.Z.Craftec

JAPAN - JAPANESE SKIN
« on: April 17, 2004, 08:26:41 PM »
Hello everybody !!!

Finally, I came up with "NIPPON" skin...

This is just my small contribution of spreading a word about avast! to Asian market and Japanese users... I hope they will like it...

Only one small issue is the font. Take a look in here:

Igor wrote:
Actually, the problem is not in the MBCS/DBCS encoding - but simply in the fact that the skin uses a specific font, together with predefined charset (some skins even have a bitmapped font embedded - and it doesn't contain Japanese characters, of course).
So, if the skis has e.g. Arial font / Western charset hardcoded, it will not work in Japanese... the "modification" to make it work is not hard - it's enough to set the font e.g. to MS Gothic, with the corresponding charset. However, such a skin will not work on non-Japanese systems.
To make a "universal" skin, it may be possible to (somehow) make the skin use "MS Shell Dlg" font, which is a special alias for the system font (i.e. it will resolve to different fonts on different system) - but if the skin author wants a different font, it's hard to do anything about it...

Actually, there is no problem... it's just I need someone from Alwil team to send me "MS Shell Dlg" font, 'cause I went to hell and heaven and couldn't find it... please !

For all those who wonders what is the meaning of all those Japanese signs on the skin, I've got help from my very good friend who work very hard on learning Japanese language and signs... It means LOVE, PEACE and TOLERANCE. In the background of the skin, it's kinda hard to spot it, but there is one traditional Japanese room...

NOTE: *** Skin is still under construction ***

Greetings !
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 08:30:22 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:JAPAN - JAPANESE SKIN
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 08:42:48 PM »
Actually, there is no problem... it's just I need someone from Alwil team to send me "MS Shell Dlg" font, 'cause I went to hell and heaven and couldn't find it... please!

You couldn't find it, because it doesn't exist. There is no real "MS Shell Dlg" font. This name is just an "alias" - if this font it used in program resources, Windows automatically change it to the current system font (so, MS Sans Serif will be used on English Windows, MS Gothic on Japanese Windows, etc).
In fact, it's just a theory that MS Shell Dlg would work for the skins - I am not sure if this alias would be substituted even for the skin files, just as they are for "ordinary" dialogs; that's something that would have to be tested. The problem is that the Skin Builder won't let you select a font that is not installed on your system... so some serious hacking would be required.

Right now, we have special versions of the skins for Japanese language. They are the same as the "English" ones, just have a different font. If the skin filename has a [Jap] suffix, it will be loaded automatically on the Japanese version, instead of the original one.
Soon, the same will apply to the Russian version - the skins can use the same font, but with the Cyrillic charset. So, there will be separate versions of the fonts for Russian avast!.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 09:05:54 PM »
OK, thanks Igor for your instant reply !

So, what's your suggestion what should I do now ? Can I finish this skin with some of those ordinary skins, or you have some advice for me, which font should I use in the first place ?

I'm not quite sure what do you mean by "If the skin filename has a [Jap] suffix, it will be loaded automatically on the Japanese version, instead of the original one."... should I put that suffix or you Alwil guys will do that when I send you skin ? Give me some example how that name should look like, please.... or maybe I also have to modify some additional things inside the skin ?

Greetings !

Sasha
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 03:04:50 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

shgoh

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 02:40:39 AM »
hi sasha....this jap skin looks cool!!! ;D ;D

Iso-G

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 05:59:02 PM »
 :o :o :o   Wow !  :o :o :o

Increasing universal skins is a big news for JP users.
I am looking forward to the new universal skin.
Thank you very much, Sasha !
If you want to see skin image in JP language, please send it to me anytime.
I will send screen shot to you.

By the way, how did you take a photo of a JP classical room ?
You sometimes surprise me.

Thank you very much, again.
Best regards,

Iso-G

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 06:12:45 PM »
OK my friend... skin is still under construction, and I'm waiting for Igor to explain to me what I have to do to make this skin universal... is it just fonts or something else too...

Room picture.. well, my very good friend here in Toronto is from Japan. His living room here in Toronto is exact copy of the room that he has in his house in Tokyo...  ;D

In next few days, I have so much work to do in company that I work for, but as soon as I catch some spare time, I'll finish this skin. I promise ! You may have to check Flash web site that I did for my company... Note: it is still under construction... Speakers on, sound effects and background sound theme are originaly mine...

Link: http://www.inet.hr/~sazivano/Canacomp/index.htm

I'll keep you updated regarding skin progress... and yes, I'll send this skin to you when I'm done, then you can test it for me my friend.
Cheers !
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 11:25:15 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 08:10:13 PM »
Great skin Sasha! (What does that JP writing translate to?  ???)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 11:26:42 PM »
Thanks Macman... just read my first post, somewhere near the end of the post...

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 12:11:59 AM »
ahhh I see!   I do occasionally over look things.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 12:40:25 AM »
And if you take a look at my signature on that "NIPPON" skin, you'll see how I write my name in Japanese (Sasha)

shgoh

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 07:46:25 PM »
sasha...it's been some time...nippon skin not ready?

can't wait too long ;D ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 07:56:57 PM »
Actually I'm not working on that skin anymore. First thing: I don't know what font should I use, 'cause it should be something that everyone can see and understand. Second thing: I really don't have enough time, I work sometimes from 7 AM till 8 or 9 PM... it makes everything even harder for me, so I really don't know what should I do with that skin...

Anyway, it was only preview... just picture. I want to finish that skin, but first I'm gonna need right font...

Sasha
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 07:58:04 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Iso-G

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 06:46:14 PM »
Hello !   (^o^)/

I think "MS P Gothic" or "MS Gothic" are good fonts on Japanse Windows.  I guess Win95 also supports these fonts.
( "MS P Gothic" is typewriter font. )

However, I heard ' To make a "universal" skin, it may be possible to (somehow) make the skin use "MS Shell Dlg" font, which is a special alias for the system font (i.e. it will resolve to different fonts on different system) '

So I think "MS Shell Dlg" is better for avast! users to use your wonderful skins on any language.    ;D

Thank you very much and best regards,

Iso-G

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 08:06:40 PM »
So I think "MS Shell Dlg" is better for avast! users to use your wonderful skins on any language.    ;D

Thanks Iso.
Sasha, can you found this font? It will be the best way to use special lethers (acented) in any language I suppose. Even the size of the font could be 'tested' before the skin 'release'  8)
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 11:39:22 PM »
As I said before... that font doesn't exist. I wrote a letter to Igor, but he sent me an answer that font under that name doesn't exist. He just mentioned that it would be good to have universal font like that, but at this point, that font doesn't exist...

You have to ask Igor for better explanation, I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss on this one with us...

Cheers !