Author Topic: CONFLICT.1 path?  (Read 5291 times)

tandanus

CONFLICT.1 path?
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »
G'Day
When I try to run a scan I get this message in my exported log file:
29/10/08 7:26:51   lgrund   4294382939   Sign of "Win32:Gator-B [trj]" has been found in "c:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\CONFLICT.1\HDPlugin1101.dll" file. 
But I dont have a directory called CONFLICT.1 in that path.
any ideas what's happening?
Avast 4.8 Home Edition
WIN98
Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: CONFLICT.1 path?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »
Ensure that you have hidden files and folders enabled and disable hide system files in Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, Hidden files and folders, see image.

See http://www.castlecops.com/p583763-HDPlugin1101_dll.html and http://www.spywaredata.com/spyware/malware/hdplugin1101.dll.php.

So avast is correct in its detection of Gator adware.

What action did you choose when avast alerted (move to chest is best) ?

Some other tools to have a root around for other possible adware/spyware - If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.

2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware freeware version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tandanus

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 11:36:47 PM »
Thankyou for your reply.
Even with "show hidden files" selected, the CONFLICT.1 path is not visible.
I tried the method from one of the links you provided to try to the delete the file from the command prompt, but even though I can get to the C:|Windows directory I cant get to the downloaded program files directory because I get a message about "Too many parameters-program" - which I guess means it doesnt like spaces in directory names. How do you get into a directory with spaces in its name in WIN98?
Additional info: Avast actually crashes while scanning and prompts to send a message about the crash, but neither of the methods of posting work on my machine - that's how I came to be poking around in the log file....

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:21:09 AM »
Deleting from a command prompt isn't going to be easy and is probably left well alone if you aren't confident in its use, which it would appear you aren't. Paths with spaces usually have to be wrapped in " quotes " however this isn't a workable option from the command prompt if I remember rightly. I haven't used win98 in about 5-6 years, but the 8.3 thing rings a bell so C:\Windows\Downlo~1\ is the usual way to overcome a folder with spaces by shortening it to 8 characters the tilde ~ being the seventh and 1 the 8th unless you had two folders the same and it would end in ~2.

Directories with spaces should be just as accessible as those without, using windows explorer (rather than a command prompt) and navigate the path.

I would rather leave the crash during scanning and deal with what is more important first.

Have you tried the two programs I suggested, SAS and MBAM (last two links) I think they work with win98 though you would have to check.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tandanus

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:02:11 AM »
Solved! (I think).
I copied the troublesome directory out and renamed it, then found the CONFLICT.1 directory (for some reason it appeared in DOS this time) and deleted all its contents, then copied the fixed directory back over the other one. Something happened along the way and all the directory's contents changed, and its icon in Windows Explorer doesn't have an "E" on it any more. Ran Avast and it went straight through (after finding another problem in an IE cach file, which also caused it to crash - so I just deleted the cache). Ran SuperAntiSpywre and it showed all clear.The other program needs NT 8. So whatever was the problem seems to be gone.  ::)
Thanks for the tips

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.
Thanks for the feedback, glad that the problem is resolved.

Welcome to the forums.