Author Topic: VRDB iball icon doesn't consistently appear at each startup  (Read 14989 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VRDB iball icon doesn't consistently appear at each startup
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »
P.S.--Is there a way to be notified via my email when there's a reply to my post in the avast forum?
Yes. Set it into your forum profile settings ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 11:51:26 PM »
Unfortunately there are times when having tried virtually everything an uninstall/install is the only option left and in the majority of cases that works, but like anything in life no guarantee.

I didn't have them download SP3 to save time but like yourself as a dial-up user trying to download 365MB is totally out of the question. You are complaining about having to download the new version at a little over 26MB, so if you know someone with broadband it wouldn't be as onerous a task, nothing more not about saving time as unless they live very close it could be longer by the time you get it. 26MB on my dial-up would take about 104 minutes, about 4 minutes per MB is a rough rule of thumb I use on a good day 3min 20sec per MB about 87 minutes, so it really isn't that bad.

Yes you can do a manual program update without having to uninstall, but as I said after the update nothing will have changed other than you have the latest version, which is why I plumbed for the clean reinstall. However, now you have found the avast4.ini, you might get away with it but I don't know if that will have resolved the VRDB icon.

Tech's link won't look anything like the avast4.ini file as it isn't the avast4.ini file but an explanation of the various configurations that can be mad to the avast4.ini file

Your list, an extract of the VRDB section is below,
Quote from: safenut
[VRDB]
LastFile=
FullComplete=1225748333
Disabled=0
ScreenSaverOnly=0
[Splash]

It is in that section that you have to create a new line for the MergeIcons=1 that is misssing from your VRDB section so it looks like the one below.

[VRDB]
LastFile=
FullComplete=1225748333
Disabled=0
MergeIcons=1
ScreenSaverOnly=0
[Splash]

Save the changes, answer Yes to the self-defence question and your done. Now the two icons should be merged into 1, now right click the avast 'a' icon, and that should now have a VRDB menu item.

You shouldn't have to uninstall .net framework 1.0 to install 2.0, on my old system the .net updates failed with monotonous regularity, so I believe that is down to flaky .net update rather than your system. Though I can't say for any other win2k updates not having used win2k.

The file settings you now have should help a lot in trying to find files using windows explorer.

By default your profile should send an email to the email you used to sign-up to the forums, unless you changed that when you originally signed up, unfortunately you can't change any profile settings until you have 20 posts (not long).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

safetynut

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 02:02:12 AM »
DavidR:

I’m not sure we’re aiming toward the same goal in the VRDB iball matter.

I want the two separate icons in the system tray—both the avast aball icon and the VRDB iball icon.

I have never chosen to merge them.

They both appear at start up each time, then suddenly after a while the VRDB iball icon doesn’t appear at a startup. Then I have to:

“the only way I have been able to make it appear is by going into System Information (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools), right-clicking the file path name, choosing Save as Text File, then opening the file and copying the path name. Then I copy that into Run and restart the pc. (Copying it into Run and hitting OK does nothing.)”

On Reply #15 of 11/3 of Tech’s explanation of avast4.ini, there is a line for “Show Task Bar Icon” under the VRDB section, and a “1” denotes that it will show in the system tray.

Isn’t that the line that I should add under the “Disabled” line in order to have the VRDB iball show up?

If I key in “MergeIcons=1,” well, . . . I don’t want the icons merged---do I? Or are you thinking that if the VRDB iball is merged with the avast aball that since the aball comes up each time, and I can access the VRDB via it, I won’t have a problem?

And if I should type in the “MergeIcons=1” line, I definitely should put it between the “Disabled” and the “Screen Saver Only” lines? I.e., it doesn’t have to be in the same order as Tech’s explanation list (before the “Last File” line?)?

And if the “Show Task Bar Icon=1” line should be typed in instead, where specifically should it be typed in?

So, by typing in lines I am not going to mess anything up in this file?

You said:
“You shouldn't have to uninstall .net framework 1.0 to install 2.0, on my old system the .net updates failed with monotonous regularity, so I believe that is down to flaky .net update rather than your system. Though I can't say for any other win2k updates not having used win2k.”

I wouldn’t think you should have to uninstall 1.0 to install 2.0 either, but I read that in the labyrinth of Microsoft’s forums/Knowledge Base maze. So how did you get the Net updates on your system if they kept failing—repeatedly trying them?

I’ve asked some pointed questions. I hope that I have been clear and that I made myself understood. Please let me know if I didn’t.

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 02:51:02 AM »
First we have to get somewhere and that somewhere is having a link on the avast icon menu for VRDB, because currently you have no way to access the VRDB without either, the icon or a menu entry to access it.

From there split the icons again if you wish, but personally I think that is both a waste of time and space on the system tray, the VRDB runs once every 21 days when it rotates for many minutes and is done. So for almost 21 days it sits there doing nothing, just taking up real estate, my idea of a waste of space.

I managed to get .net 1.0, 1.1 and then 2.0 on my old system after many failures and repeated attempts, I have never managed to get any of the later .net updates installed.

On this new system I have only got .net 1.1 and strangely windows update no longer tries to offer me .net updates. I have one program on my system (Drive Image) that requires at least .net 1.0 or I wouldn't have .net on my system at all. One day I will update to a newer Drive Image back-up software and .net is history on my system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 07:06:34 PM »
P.S.--Is there a way to be notified via my email when there's a reply to my post in the avast forum?
Just click on the notify option at the bottom of the page.

Click on picture to enlarge
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

safetynut

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »
DavidR:

Okay, I see your point about merging the aball and the iball. As you say, less room in the system tray will be taken up, but more importantly I will always have access to the VRDB and not have to worry about whether the iball shows up in the system tray at each startup.

But two questions:
1.   While the VRDB iball icon is in my system tray (as it is right now), if I right-clicked on it and chose “Merge with main avast! icon,” would that action “key in” the “MergeIcons=1” line in avast4.ini, so to speak? Or would I still need to key it in myself? I.e., should I do one, or the other, or both?
2.   If I do need to key in the “MergeIcons=1” line myself in avast4.ini, I should key it in the order you indicated and not worry about the order in which it was found on Tech’s list?
3.   It is safe for me to be typing this line into this file? Forgive my persistence, I just couldn’t take any more messes.

Changing subjects:
I wish I didn’t have to deal with Microsoft stuff—I know they are the pioneers, so to speak, but I find it hard to get info, to maneuver on their websites without getting into loops, and to make their things work, etc. I don’t even know what the NET Framework stuff is or does? Can you give me a sentence or two that simply explains it? If you can get away without it in some instances, why is it needed?

Another oddity about my computer is that though the 2.0 net is not listed in Add/Remove Programs (only Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 and a Hotfix (KB928366) for that are listed), but if I do a Search after typing in “.NET Framework,” it brings up folders, one of which has a folder that reads “v2.0.50727.”

Here is another instance of having something on the computer that should be listed in the Add/Remove Programs but isn’t. I’ve had several of these, not the least of which was Spybot—I had a desktop icon and access to the program, but it wasn’t listed in Add/Remove Programs until I had to uninstall the version I had and install the newer version.

Anyway, if I have 2.0 net lurking somewhere on the computer, why would I need to do an update entitled: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB947742)?? This is one of the Microsoft updates that keeps failing.

I know this is off the iball subject, but if I’m allowed to digress, any insight you can give me into the unknowns of my computer that I’m trying to decipher to solve problems would be very, very much appreciated.

bob3160:
Thank you so much for the notify option info. Do you mean that I only have to hit the “Notify” button at the bottom of the page to get an email whenever I get a reply. When I clicked the link at the bottom of your reply, it seemed a download was necessary, . . . I’m confused. (Can you tell?)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 11:37:29 PM »
You wouldn't have to manually add the entry if you are able to do it from the i icon, the changing of default settings would automatically be registered.

I can't tell you in a sentence exactly what .net framework does, but google probably can, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework.

It is in add remove programs, certainly on mine, see image.

The purpose of the updates are because they close security holes in .net framework.

Some of the .net framework updates unlike some of the SP updates require that you have an earlier update so that could be why something fails, like if you tried .net 2.0 and didn't have 1.0 and 1.1 it might fail. At times I really despair at .net framework as there seems to be no consistency in its requirements/updates, etc. and I really have no idea of its requirements and for me that is frustrating I really do like to know what is going on on my system.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 12:26:06 AM »
There are more updates available for .Net Framework:

Click picture to enlarge
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 12:35:43 AM »
Yes there are more updates, but they are the only ones on my system ;D

safetynut

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 01:49:46 AM »
DavidR:

Okay, so here goes—I’m merging the iball with the aball. Sure hope this will make avast! life smoother, . . .Well, I’ll actually dare to do it tomorrow. Too tired now.

Thanks for the link about Net framework.

No, the 2.0 net doesn’t show in my Add/Remove Programs list, though it is a folder located when I do a “Search” for NET Framework, as I already mentioned.

How can I make copies of things as you did with the image of your Add/Remove Programs list and drop them into my posts?

bob3160:
Thanks for the info on the additional NET Framework updates. But could the 3.0 be for a newer operating system than my Windows 2000? I sure hope so as I can’t take dealing with any more of them, especially since the update I mentioned in Reply #20 keeps failing.

By the way, I did get email notification when DavidR replied this last time, so I must have “done good” by clicking on the Notify button—thanks for the info.

Guys:
Can I ask about computer problems other than avast-related ones in this forum anywhere?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 01:59:47 AM »
How can I make copies of things as you did with the image of your Add/Remove Programs list and drop them into my posts?
Post a screenshot (see how: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0).
You can use Gadwin PrintScreen to get a screenshot (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/) or the free version of WinSnap 1.1.10 (http://www.filehippo.com/download_winsnap/?2173).

Can I ask about computer problems other than avast-related ones in this forum anywhere?
Better keeping on General Topics forum only.

epp

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 01:14:25 AM »
My apologies for reviving an old thread, but I had to uninstall some software (including Avast) to resolve a problem.  

When Avast was reinstalled, I am also having the same problem with the (i) icon not appearing in the taskbar after Windows XP comes up.

I ran the ashDisp.exe program mentioned in the first message in this thread, it did nothing.

When I then looked at the avast4.ini file, there was no [VRDB] section in it.  I had to uninstall it again then reinstall before the (i) appeared.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:21:55 AM by epp »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »
I had to uninstall it again then reinstall before the (i) appeared.
Do you mean that everything is ok now after an installation from the scratch?

epp

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
The problem turned out to be memory-related, which has been resolved.

Once again, when Avast was installed and the system rebooted afterwards, only the "a" icon appeared, not the "i".  

Update 1:  However, after this installation, there was a VRDB section in avast4.ini, but it did not have MergeIcons=0 with it, so I manually added it in.  Will do a reboot and see what comes up afterwards...

Update 2:  It also did not have Disabled=0 or ShowTaskbarIcon=1.  Rebooting again...

Update 3:  Still no (i) icon...

That's all folks.  In baseball, three strikes and the batter is out.  

Avast's three strikes are above, so it's out.  I'm going back to the previous anti-virus solution I used, at least that worked as its developers intended...

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:16:08 PM by epp »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 12:51:31 AM »
I'm going back to the previous anti-virus solution I used, at least that worked as its developers intended...
Well... I won't even worry about VRDB... avast is much much more than it.
VRDB is an obsolete technology that will be dropped out in next version.
You can continue to receive avast protection without worrying about VRDB or needing to get another antivirus ::)