Author Topic: Show report at end  (Read 3031 times)

Acid0057

Show report at end
« on: November 08, 2008, 12:26:31 AM »
Hi all,

New to avast! and I have a quick question. I'm more used to other AV scanners reporting any viruses with options on how to handle them at the end of the On-Demand Scan. Is this possible with Avast?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Show report at end
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:44:39 AM »
These automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

In the Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. This way, no action will be taken and you will given the results at the end of the scan (and you can perform actions from there). Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system.

- There was one suggestion to place something like the eicar virus test file at the start of the first drive to be scanned in a file like ~a-eicar.com that should soon be detected and you can do the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. So you should have a list of files waiting your action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

greengoop

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:45:20 AM »
That is exactly why I registered as well someone please answer the above question. If you cant that is a huge minus on avast anti-virus over other anti-virus software.

Acid0057

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:50:43 AM »
Thanks David. Never thought to use the Eicar test virus like that.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:07:56 AM »
That is exactly why I registered as well someone please answer the above question. If you cant that is a huge minus on avast anti-virus over other anti-virus software.

Yes, people can see that as a minus, but avast have so many plus, so it's easy to forgot that tiny little minus ;)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 01:38:12 AM »
Thanks David. Never thought to use the Eicar test virus like that.

No problem, glad I could help.
Welcome to the forums.

I'm really not sure what it is that you are asking, didn't I just answer the question.

You don't say what version you are using Home/Pro ?

Lets not lose sight of the fact that you can get this free and for the most part isn't crippled in comparison with other free AVs. You cet virtually everything that is in the pro version in the free version when it comes to protection: anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-rootkit, web shield, email scanning, P2P scanning, Instant Messaging scanning.

Effectively the same protection as the Pro paid option which has a Script blocker (web shield to a degree also provides this functionality), more automated actions on detection, enhanced user interface, and a little more configurability, now compare that with other free AV options.

Also in my post, Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system. So there will be less occasions when avast actually finds a virus that wasn't detected by the resident scanners. I have had avast for over four and a half years and haven't found this to be a handicap (or a minus) in any way.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

greengoop

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 01:51:46 AM »
You must have replied while I was typing my message sorry about that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:59:26 AM »
Yes, were fast on the avast forums ;D

Welcome to the forums.