Author Topic: Network Drive Issues  (Read 6642 times)

av-outsource

Network Drive Issues
« on: April 19, 2004, 10:20:09 PM »
We have a customer evaluating Pro Edition. He would like to switch off the scanning of data when read from a network drive.

He has Avast Server running and Pro on desktop and scanning is duplicated so much so it is slowing the system down to much.

Can realtime scanbe restricted to local?

Please give advice.

thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Network Drive Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 10:42:03 PM »
Are you talking about the real-time scanner?
If so, the fact is that the on-access scanner of avast Pro does NOT scan network files. You can check this in the Last Scanned File box and/or in the report files...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

av-outsource

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 12:00:22 PM »
I am refering to the on-access scanner. I know with Norton you can set scan on reads or scan on writes or both.

Is it possible to set an exclusion for H: for example?

Regards

James

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 12:49:41 PM »
Sure, just add H:\* into the list of exclusions for the Standard Shield (4th - Advanced - page of its configuration).
However, as Vlk noted, the Standard Shield actually doesn't scan network drives...

av-outsource

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 01:03:47 PM »
Thanks.

Yes I understand this, but if the Avast Server is scanning the file when the client requests it and Avast Pro is scanning it on the desktop as it requests it, it can take a hit on performance a little.

You see why I am asking?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 01:06:31 PM »
and Avast Pro is scanning it on the desktop as it requests it

As I said -- it does not scan it, if its on the network. This is a limitation of the current setup of avast Pro. It's because the avast! antivirus service runs under the LocalSystem account that does not have, by definition, access to network resources...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 04:56:35 PM »
and Avast Pro is scanning it on the desktop as it requests it

As I said -- it does not scan it, if its on the network. This is a limitation of the current setup of avast Pro. It's because the avast! antivirus service runs under the LocalSystem account that does not have, by definition, access to network resources...

If the user 'open' a file of his network in his own system, won't it be scanned due to scan 'open' files option of Standard Shield?
For instance, if I use MS Winword to open a .doc file, won't it be scanned locally? If it is infected, won't avast! detect it? (If I remember correctly, the temporary files of Word stay on the same folder of the open file...)  ::)
The best things in life are free.