Author Topic: Trojans & Viruses  (Read 2522 times)

SHARKY7SHARKY

Trojans & Viruses
« on: November 10, 2008, 01:39:25 PM »
I downloaded from a film site what I thought was a Codec because I was suspicious I saved it to the desk top & scanned with Avast, all clear so I proceeded to install 3 seconds latter Avast was turned off & a message come up bottom right saying windows detected spyware blah blah blah click here to get a free scan I am well wear of this con.
I tried opening windows defender that to was dead so I reverted the hard drive still no luck so went into safe mode & scanned with Avast & defender found mail ware
Brastk.exe etc things got sorted very quickly by me.

The reason I am posting this is because I am very surprised this low risk Trojan virus whatever you want to call it was able to deactivate Avast & Defender the only thing that alerted me quickly to this problem was Comodo firewall telling me brastk wanted to connect to the internet.
Just one more thing why didn't Avast detect it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Trojans & Viruses
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »
Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help andundetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already there) where it can do no harm and send it from there (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so any further action you take can remove that.

I don't know where you come up with the low risk trojan categorisation from but trojans can be virtually anything, that is the nature of the trojan something containing an unknown package.

Codec's really are one of the high risk area as there are many hooks out there to say you need a specific codec that you don't have here's a link to get it. Whilst you have exercised care new variants could well get past avast, so another useful tool is VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if you feel something is suspect, there are currently 36 different scanners there.

What version of avast do you have (the latest is 4.8.1229) ?
From version 4.8 there is a self-defence module, which with a few exceptions is quite good at blocking attacks on avast!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:45:16 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply I did put them in the chest but removed them, so next time I come across them I will send to Avast.
Norton & other programmes class this low risk but having said that they have been known to deactivate Norton & other security programmes.
I am using the latest Avast also windows defender Comodo firewall & BoClean

thathagat

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »
hello.......
1. codecs from random sites are dangerous...even more you should disable the option in your player to automatically download new codecs.
2. here is an excellent all codec pack....check it out....http://www.filehippo.com/download_codec_pack/
3.to be sure no infection is left do an additional scan with SAS free and Dr. Web cureit...