Author Topic: Web Shield is slowing down and stoping some websties from loading?  (Read 9489 times)

samandjt

Re: Web Shield is slowing down and stoping some websties from loading?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »
Windows XP Sp3.

Windows Firewall turned off.  No other Firewall or antivirus.

Worked great until thursday Oct 23rd? 

Thanks.

bfor

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 04:14:43 AM »
I am also having the same problem. Firefox will load a page and keep trying to load something until I stop it. (advertising crap probably because it seems like the page loaded)  I can browse the site however. Other times it won't even load. I stopped Web Shield and it is fine. I went to Internet Explorer and it doesn't have the problem with Web Shield. I have been using Mozilla and now Firefox for a long time but am getting really discouraged when IE6 is faster. Is this an Avast or a Firefox problem and how can it be fixed?
Thanks

DCDarkling

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »
Seems Im not the only one having this isue.

I confirmed that this is the case. On both the custom, normal and high settings (trying alot of combos on custom of course) it lags general internet speed.

For clarification, I use avast home 4.8.1229 (dutch edition).
my windows is a XPhome SP3 on the following build:
Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236 (Service Pack 3)
I run Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4.5.916.0

The odd thing I noticed is not just the lag but that the Webshield service on ashwebsv.exe keeps connections open. Long (and I mean long) after any browser has been closed and been confirmed both by firewall as Process Explorer to not be running, this executable keeps connections open. Even more odd. It still keeps sending and receiving on some ocasions.

I have noticed faster browsing when I either restart the webshield or my internet connection which both nuke the open connections. Of course in both cases they build up pretty quickly.

Hope anyone else has some ideas as to work around this problem other then turning the thing off.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 11:02:14 PM »
To start, I'd recommend updating to the last program version (4.8.1282), maybe it will help.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bfor

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 10:38:21 PM »
I am also having the same problem. Firefox will load a page and keep trying to load something until I stop it. (advertising crap probably because it seems like the page loaded)  I can browse the site however. Other times it won't even load. I stopped Web Shield and it is fine. I went to Internet Explorer and it doesn't have the problem with Web Shield. I have been using Mozilla and now Firefox for a long time but am getting really discouraged when IE6 is faster. Is this an Avast or a Firefox problem and how can it be fixed?
Thanks

After a lot of playing I came to the conclusion that all of the advertising crap was where I was having the problem and not the actual web page itself. I downloaded the plugin for Firefox called Ad Block Plus and everything seems great. I still don't know if the problem is Avast or Firefox though. Everything is happy, so far, and I don't have to look at all of the advertising either.