Author Topic: Scanning the flash drive  (Read 2333 times)

webbs

Scanning the flash drive
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:17:49 PM »
I am trying to scan a flash drive that was inserted in USB port of my laptop.

Avast showing many files as virus. Like:

H:/System/DFRT56HGBVCFD89765FGN JHGFR43EWSAVN.exe

Are these laptop system files? Move them to Avast chest?

One more question: What I have to do with virus in chest? How to delete them permanantly?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scanning the flash drive
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:40:49 PM »
A laptops system folder would be no different from a desktops system folder in c:\windows\system so a flash drive isn't an integral part of your laptop and shouldn't require a system folder.

The windows system files tend to stick to an 8.3 format, e.g. the file name is 8 characters long and the file type (the bit after the . ) is 3 characters long. So this looks like a randomly generated file name (zero hits on google) trying to trick you into thinking it is a system file when it is not.

So to me it looks like a good detection move it to the chest.
There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

How many files are detected all together ?
Can you give some more examples ?

Where did this flash drive come from ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:34:44 PM »
Seems a file of a hidden recovery partition... Maybe you should test it again www.virustotal.com before moving it into Chest.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:58:07 PM »
I wouldn't have thought there would be a hidden recovery partition on a flash drive Tech.

I am trying to scan a flash drive that was inserted in USB port of my laptop.
<snip>
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 02:31:18 AM »
I wouldn't have thought there would be a hidden recovery partition on a flash drive Tech.
You're right. My fault.
The best things in life are free.